Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor exaust pipe-complete system ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 05:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used the new FMF pipe or a Big gun complete system on their Raptors ? If so what kind of gains are you seeing ? Does anyone have any comments about these two systems ? Also does White Brothers have a complete system for the Raptor yet ?

Old 12-04-2000, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

I just got off the phone with White Brothers and they do not offer a complete system for the Raptor. They said there was not enough gain in the header pipe to offer one. They said there is a 6 hp gain in the slip-on. As far as FMF goes, I couldn't get the jokers to pick up the phone w/o being disconnected! Hope their pipes work better than their phones.

Old 12-04-2000, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

me again...

I just got off the phone w/ Moto Joe (a distributor that sells all makes of exhaust) and Nick said he probably sells more than 30 to 1 of either the Big Gun or White Brothers compared to FMF. He said the gains and quality of FMF is not that great. I think I may be leaning to Big Gun, but would love to hear any experiences from any of them!

Old 12-04-2000, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

I was at the dunes this weekend. There was about six raptors there. I seen two race. They both had the same size tires and 10 paddle haulers. One had the white bros r4 slip on while one had the complete big gun system . They were about equal riders they raced four times. The big gun equiped raptor wasted the wb equiped raptor 4 times . The guy with the wb pipe said he is going to buy the big gun. Hope this helps. Right now I have a ds 650 but want to sell it to get a raptor. Have you ridden both if you have which one did you like better and why.
Thanks

Old 12-05-2000, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

I find it interesting that white Bros says that a head pipe rework on the raptor doesn't give enough gain to warrent development, and CT Racing says that they have never seen so much gain from the reworking of a head pipe. hmmmmm - somebodies lying. . . .

Old 12-05-2000, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

RaptorWarr,

I'd suggest a simple remedy would be to call White Brothers and hear it for yourself. That does not mean another company could not get different results. Did you consider that maybe NOBODY is lying?

Old 12-05-2000, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

bomberds,

Glad to hear the Big Gun had good results. I called Big Gun this morning and ordered a complete set. They were very friendly and helpful, which is says a lot compared to the interest some of the competitors showed on the phone. Here is a good article on the Big Gun complete system (tested on a 400ex) that you can read...

http://offroad-net.com/atv/400ex/big_gun.html

Later,
Bart

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2000, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

Actually Bartolo, I was taking your word for it. I assumed that you had already called white bros(per your post) and were relaying correct information, therefore I had no reason to call White Brothers. Header technology is not rocket science. Neither CT Racing nor White Brothers should have a large technology edge over one another. By the information I have 1 of 2 things are true. 1) White Brothers is correct and its a waist of time fabricating a header for the Raptor and CT is lying about the results the are getting from a reworked headpipe, or 2) CT Racing is correct about there being large gain potential in the headpipe refab and White Brothers had decided to lie about the gain potential so you'll buy the silencer from them without looking for a pipe/silencer combo. If you believed I was atacking you, you are mistaken and I appologize if that's the way is sounded. But the question still remains. . . . .is the headpipe the power cache CT says it is? or Is it a waist of money like WB says it is. I would certainly like to know before I spend money on the exhaust of my raptor.

Old 12-05-2000, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I called Yoshimura again today. They seem to be in agreement with CT Racing. The lady on the phone says that she's never seen such an improvement in an exhaust system and that in stock trim, the Raptor is really choked up.

If/when Yoshi post dyno results, I'd be very inclined to believe them. If you look at other dynos that they have, you'll see that they don't make huge claims and the dynos show marginal gains on many of them. With that in mind, the lady said that they are still tweaking the system, but they are getting 30% gains up to peak hp where they are getting 10%, then another 30% on the down side of the dyno. I'm guessing that they haven't done any mods to the airbox, which CT says makes almost 7-8 HP difference when used in conjuction with their full pipe.

Old 12-05-2000, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

I'll tell you one thing, bash, a 50 hp raptor would be an awsome toy. The only problem I have is the CT silencer is so ugly. I emailed CT and asked what they thought about me matching up their header with some-else's silencer. I'm not sure they would be very open to discussing that option, but maybe. I told them I already had a WB R4 on order(I do), and would it work with their header. I ordered the WB(prepaid) before I saw their web site. I'm still waiting for their reply.
Oh, btw, how do you like that barnett clutch? Can you tell a lot of difference from stock?

Quick Reply: Raptor exaust pipe-complete system ?