Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My Warrior is running like A$$, I need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Warrior is running like A$$, I need some help.

I've been tinkering around on this thing for a couple weeks and can't seem to figure out what the deal is. It pops and sputters in mid-range and high RPM. It idles fine and I can run the quad fine at low speed. I can also see that the fuel isn't getting sucked into the engine very well because alot seems to be coming back out of the carburetor. I just got done checking valve clearance, timing, and I put the carburetor to the Dynojet stage 2 settings. The quad has a supertrapp old style pipe, a little cut off of the airbox lid, dynojet kit, and K&N filter (It's a 1996 Warrior). I would appreciate any help because I'm out of ideas.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

most likely your jetting is off... what is the jetting... i would say( it's about the same as mine) probably a 152.5-155 main stock pilot move one richer on needle and 1/2 turn on the air/fuel screw

Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

The jetting is like this. DJ 148 main jet. Dynojet needle with clip in 2nd position from top with a washer underneath the clip, and the mixture screw is 2 1/2 turns out. Just like they reccomend.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine did the same thing last week. I had to ride for about 30 mins in second gear. (not enough power for anything more) I figured it was a clogged main jet and it was. There was a little black beetle stuck in it. I'm thinking an inline fuel filter will prevent this in the future.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

the jets are clean. I just changed them yesterday.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

u need to be 2nd from bottom... right now you are lean... also there shouldn't need to be a washer under it...

Old 09-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

My bad. The needle is in groove number 4 counting down from top. I've had it in so many grooves in the last 2 weeks that I can't remember anymore. I originally thought that it was running lean too. But now I'm a little worried about the fuel blowing out the back of the carburetor.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check your intake manifold for cracks. The rubber has a tenency to tear in the middle where there's no metal inside, then it makes the quad run erratically, with sputtering, bogging down, and hiccuping into the carburetor. Usually when these crack it's during the rejetting process. That's when mine broke the first time, and I was going nuts and trying all kinds of combinations of jets until I found the air leak.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

I have had a couple of the intake boots tear also.. they run like crap. also there is a ground on the reverse lever... clean that up and last but not least that parkingbrake limter on the clutch perch is always a biatch.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was going to say part of what OFC said. That parking brake limiter has caused me to scratch my head a few times[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Also, check your floats if you have fuel coming out of the carb. Is it running out of the overflow tubes?

Quick Reply: My Warrior is running like A$$, I need some help.