Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

o2 grizzly engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 grizzly engine noise

Well it has 15000 km about 1300 hours and the engine is noisey. It has a "clacking" sound to it like the valves but I checked that an it seems fine. Is there a decommpression valve for the engine that might be sticking? What else can produce this "clacking sound" any help ort advice would be great

Old 09-30-2006, 05:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also failed to mention that I got stuck in some mud and when I tried to back out it just sputtered and would barely or not even move. Even when I tried forward movement in low range it would sputter just a little but not all the time. I have bought pretty much a whole new internal clutch system and belt including all the bearings plus a one way bearing that cost me 124 dollars. So I rule out any clutch related problems. I also have a bigger piston for it (1mm) over bore for it, but, That clacking sound needs to go.

2200 bux in parts I installed already. checked to see if clutch was tight in the mud noticed gutless engine in reverse. Flipped it on its *** to clean it and then...saw the bent frame... that is foobarred... lucky i got the quad for free well kind of

Old 09-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

where does the sound seem like its coming from the differentials or the engine...it could be sluggish due to a few problems could be the carb being clogged up(jets being clogged or diaphragm torn) and it could be the differentials...just let me know where you think the sound is coming from exactly.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

It sounds like it is coming from the head

Old 10-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

like a valve tap or something to that extent

Old 10-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Range Rover

If the valve lash is under spec, you could try cheching the cam chain tensioner (may need replacing or adjusting), if the cam chain is loose it can cause these types of noises.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

It sounds just like valve noise

Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

Check out your timming chain, If your going to redo the timming i would reccomend resetting your valves at the same time. If you have some spare cash replace them with heavy duty ones.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will check it out tomorrow dudes. Is there a decompression vale on this thing?

Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello everyone. I had a look at my quad again but since my shop manual is not in yet (2.5 months so far) I am not to sure where or how to check the timing chain and adjust it. I have yet to recieve an answer on a question. I am asking if my grizzly had a decompression valve weather it is a automatic decompression or automatic. My friends honda 400 ex had a decompression valve and it got stuck one day and it sounded like my problem. I have to change the piston on it and I want to figure out the noise before I take it all apart. I am also going to a 1mm oversize piston. Anyone know what the displacement would be after I put the larger piston in?

Quick Reply: o2 grizzly engine noise