Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cleaning air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning air filter

I run a K&N filter with no lid and a prefilter on my raptor 700. I only use it maybe once a month and last time i rode it. It was stutering a little. I am pretty sure this is because i never cleaned the filter. Do i need special oil to clean the filter or do i just run it through some water?

Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning air filter

K&N filters are awesome to clean. It's not as simple as running them through water though, because first you have to loosen up the oil to release the dirt from the element, then after it dries you have to re-apply the oil or the dirt won't stick to it, and bye bye top end. All you need is a K&N recharger kit, which you can pick up at any decent auto parts store for $9 - $12, and that comes with good instructions if you're unsure what to do.

Be happy that you don't have a foam filter, I dread cleaning foam filters more than any other maintainance on my quad, because it's a time consuming, sticky, and more expensive process. K&N's are the way to go, the only reason I run a foam filter is because it was free with my exhaust, and if the Ebay cocknozzles ever quit fooling me around i'll have a clamp on k&n kit for myself. (Ordered the kit 3 months ago, and the kit came with the wrong size filter. Sent it back promptly, and for 2 and a half months they only answer emails when I put a threat in the title, and give me this generic answer about awaiting delivery of the correct filter.

But enough with my rant, good luck.