Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just bought a 2000 Kodiak 400 Ultramatic...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2000 Kodiak 400 Ultramatic...

...along with an 07 Kingquad and the I've noticed that the Kodiak really smells strongly of gas when parked in my garage for any extended period of time. Any suggestions on how to curb this a bit? I've already compared it with the Kingquad and it's definitely coming from the Kodiak. I generally leave the gas tank in the "open" position on the side.

Also, I just bought a new battery since the existing one seemed to drain overnight. The new one has now drained as well and all I have connected are the hand warmers (not on). When I use use jumper cables, there is a loud clicking noise from under the seat and it actually makes the same noise from time to time even when the jumpers aren't attached.

Finally, the automatic shift lever doesn't often go into neutral even when I make every effort to do so. I read on the forums that the shift linkage may need to be cleaned. Thoughts?

Sorry for the noob post and possible duplicate thread, but I would really appreciate any advice or direction!

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

I'd store the machine with the petcock "off". You're float may be stuck open just a bit. Is any gas leaking from the overflow tube?

It sounds like something may be wrong with the starting system or starter. Does the starter motor turn over at all? The clicking noise you hear may be the starter solonoid. I had a similar problem with my Wolverine, it just needed new brushes in the starter motor. Try tapping the starter with the handle end of a screw driver, then try starting it. If the starter spins over after that, replace the brushes.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I have a Koidiak 450 and when out riding at times I'd get the clicking sound but it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a loose connection on the neg terminal of the battery. I'd just tighten it and it would start up. Something simple to look into...especially if the grips are wired at the battery (like mine) and it seems to work loose once and a while
Buck

Old 10-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

I keep my 450 kodiak in garage and don't shut fuel off and it never smells or leaks gas.