Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Steering Dampener on Raptor?What will I gain?HELP :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the graydon/proline websight and saw they have a steering dampener for the Raptor.What would i gain by putting one on?I dont no exactly what they do.I do mostly trail riding and was wondering if it would benefit me at all?Is their other brands I should look into?Is a steering stabalizer the same thing?Please any info would be great.

Old 12-07-2000, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

x250rdude,
A steering dampner will prevent headshake. It will increase your steering effort but on corners with choppy bumps it will increase stability by slowing the movement of the handlebars. I've used them on various sportbikes before but I'm not familar with the ones for quads.

Old 12-07-2000, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Steering dampner and steering stabilizer are the same...I think.
A steering dampner works exactly like hydraulic struts. The viscosity of oil (an the design of the dampner itself) do not allow very fast movements (like an out-of-control-didn't-see-the-bump) of the handlebar in this case. They are adjustable.
I don't know the reputation of the banshee about that, but I wouldn't get one. My riding buddy has one on his scrambler, and the steering feels soooo sticky, filtered, you don't feel your wheels. I don't like it...I won't put that on my bike.

Old 12-07-2000, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

So far it does not sound like ill be needing one.Is there anything good about them?I no I could of used one on my ds650.That quad used to have some really bad bumb steer.The raptor seems to handle great though.

Old 12-08-2000, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

x250rDude...

I happen to be Zorro's Scrambler buddy. As usual we are of contradictory opinions... When I installed my HPD steering dampener the difference was like night and day!
At my camp there is a spot in the trail with holes the size of bowling *****. I went through the 500 foot section many times without the dampener and the handle bars went crazy...right and left. Once I installed it I could ride through twice as fast with only one hand on the bars. Considerable difference. After that I stuck one on both my quads.

It's all a matter of personal taste. They are adjustable with seven positions.(mine is)When riding all day on "normal" speed trails it is a godsend for the arms. I love it! Keeps the quad tracking strait and takes away, or as Zorro says, "filters out" the roughness.

Old 12-08-2000, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

I didn't want to give the impression that they where bad. Meerly to explain what to expect. The type of quad(or bike) can make all the difference. It will help bumpsteer(headshake) but it definately slows the steering of the Raptor down. On a quad that doesn't steer exceptionally fast you wouldn't notice as big a difference.

Old 12-18-2000, 01:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the HPD stabilizer on my Scrambler 500 and I agree with Xplor, they're great. My only problem is that they don't seem to last long on the rocky trails in Colorado. The one I have now lasted just one season and hardly has any resistance left.

I haven't decided if I will put one on my Raptor. So far it doesn't seem to have as much bump steer as my Scrambler.