Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior axle bearing HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior axle bearing HELP!

Ok, so i needed new rear axle bearings in my old warrior that i'm trying to fix up. They have never been changed before, Got everything apart, hub sproket chain etc... Cant get the axle to budge. Tried smacking the living crap out of it with a hammer, no luck. Whats the next option, i took the akle and housing out of the quad now and was debating on taking to a shop to see if they can press it out and hen remove the old bearings to! Is that the next step??? what do you think they might charge for this???

Old 10-26-2006, 01:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

usually you can take the wheel hub off on the left side, put the nut back on, and then stick the correct size socket over the end of it. This protects the end of your axle from being damaged when you take a swing at it with a 5 lb sledge and send it flying out the other end. The axle has a tendency to get pretty tight on the bearings and sleeve, expecially when they've been in there since 88. My 2001's axle was very difficult to get out the first time, I tried everything, and the method I just described is what finally worked. That was a little over a year ago, and my bearings are already shot again. This time i'm tapping the carrier and putting a grease zerk on it, so I can pump that thing full of grease and they'll last forever then.

But if you still can't get it out, getting it pressed out may be your only option before buying a new axle and carrier. I don't what they charge for work like that, I get that kind of stuff done for free, so I never saw a bill for it.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i put a zerked housing and i grease mine almsot every ride... ( usually desn't need it every ride) well... unfortuniterly.. i think my bearings are shot already... and those fockers were hella expensive too

Old 10-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

If you can get something big enough to put it in, soak it in a bath of pentrant (wd40 or some such)

My 2001 axel was a bugger to get out. If you don't have anything big enough to get it in, then simply stand it on end and soak the bejeeziz out of the upper side .. it'll penetrate down through.

You'll still have to drive it out, but after soaking mine for overnight, I was able to get it apart using only a 2lb, short handled maul and a 4" x 1-1/4" rigid conduit stub .. though the nut/socket would work too .. just make darn sure that you have the nut tight on the inner axel or you'll ruin your threads!!

Old 10-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

Ya i called a local shop and he said it wound be 60 bucks and he would have it done same day. I usually dont have people do work for me but this has been such a pain in my butt i think i can justify it. I wonder if he would tap a zerk into the housing.... sounds like a great idea! and pump it full of marine grade waterproof grease. I bought the bearings off Rockymountian.com World Wide Bearings. hope there good i dont want to go through this every year

Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well I was in the same situation about a year ago when I rebuilt my ds and the rear was pretty much shot along with alot of other stuff...but anyhow before putting in the new expensive bearings you will want to inspect the carrier, take out the old races if the carrier is in good shape,pack the bearings,get youself some new seals for the bearings,inspect your chain and sprockets making sure the sprockets aren't pointed at the teeth(if they are get a new chain and sprockets front and back since you have the rear apart) and inspect the hubs that press against the bearings the hubs should have a thin metal ring or sleeve(atleast thats how it is on my 650) whatever you want to call it that goes over the hub for when the hub presses against the bearings.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help guys i just had a local shop do it i took them the axle and they removed the shaft and bearings cleanded and installed new bearings for 59$

Old 10-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

thats good to hear I wish ya luck