Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

700 or 660

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 or 660

Originally posted by: tedjackson7
Ive had my 700 for close to a month now. I have 35 hours on it and couldnt be happier. The temp has dropped 45 degrees here on average and the efi has not coughed a bit. If you have the cash I recommend it. If you dont go with the carb setup. Either way you cant lose.
if i had enough money, i would get the 700, cuz of the efi, does efi have better throttle response when the engine is warmed up, or is it only better when its cold and equal when its hot

Old 10-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700 or 660

Originally posted by: Scooter86
The 700 engine was modified from an existing bike engine. It has been in use for about a year or so in the Raptor and I have heard of no common problems. From what I understand, even if the power steering does break down the quad will just steer like it never had it, so no worries there other than potential repair costs. I will say that running with a steering damper(and the power steering acts as one) is really nice. Yamaha has had a good history as of late with new model introductions. You may here of a few small Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word ling issues to be fixed, but nothing huge such as bad frames, axles, or grenading engines. The 660 is still a great quad, so let economics and your gut guide you. Have you ridden either? A good test ride may just solve your dilemma!
dealer said i could ride both of them, my guess is i'll like the 700 better i bet the dealer figures that to

Old 10-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 700 or 660

I am still technically in my breakin period so I havent gunned it while cold, I have ridden in the 30-40 degree temp here and have not noticed a real difference. I do notice an instaneous start up. I had a 2003 yamaha vstar that was carbeurated and cold natured on start up even when it was brand new. But thats not comparing apples to apples so its hard to say. So i would guess you are correct, better throttle response when cold but equal when hot.

The only difference I would guess is less time between tuneup maintenance for the efi.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700 or 660

Originally posted by: tshull
this is killin me , when i started this process it was 400 cc range then when i saw the 660 i was all over that 50 lbs more with lots more engine,but last week the dealer was really pushing me towards 700 almost to point of saying the 660 was no good, better profit margin i guess.
Wow! This sounds like a echo. I started looking in the 400 cc range also, and decided to go bigger. As long as you are going to do it, you might as well do it (Within economic reason that is). At least that is what I finally told myself.

Either machine will most likely be a excellent choice. Maybe just flip a coin and don't look back. Next will be choosing all those cool accessories to go on it.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700 or 660

Originally posted by: JDGrizz
Originally posted by: tshull
this is killin me , when i started this process it was 400 cc range then when i saw the 660 i was all over that 50 lbs more with lots more engine,but last week the dealer was really pushing me towards 700 almost to point of saying the 660 was no good, better profit margin i guess.
Wow! This sounds like a echo. I started looking in the 400 cc range also, and decided to go bigger. As long as you are going to do it, you might as well do it (Within economic reason that is). At least that is what I finally told myself.

Either machine will most likely be a excellent choice. Maybe just flip a coin and don't look back. Next will be choosing all those cool accessories to go on it.
oh god don't even start with the accessories !! overload for my small brain...over fenders!!

Old 10-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700 or 660

Oooh yeah! Over fenders are on the list, just behind better tires. I have found out already that my thumb and the throttle lever do not get along after about a hour of riding, so a extension lever has been ordered. Next is hand guards for brush and to help deflect the chilly wind off my paws. I won't even get into rack extensions and bags, because that starts to make me dizzy.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default 700 or 660

I would think it's a no-branier. EFI vs. carbs, Power Steering, better intakes (up way higher), better GC (arced control arms), lower center of gravity (re-located fuel tank), four disc brakes, need we go on?

KC

Old 10-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default 700 or 660

ya it has racks and weighs more than 350 lbs

Old 11-06-2006, 09:52 PM
DS2
Range Rover
Default 700 or 660

I'm always concerned about first year changes, but my wife loved the power steering so much that we picked one up the day she tested one. I can only compare it to my brother-in-laws quad (Polaris 700 twin) and the Griz gets the nod in every aspect; lighter, more nimble, more powerful, better ride and better sounding stock exhaust.