Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 450 is not a submarine-Need help now

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 is not a submarine-Need help now

Hey guys I need some help again. I sank my atv about a week ago and when I say sank........I mean completely sank!!! Handle bars and everything!! Anyways with a little CPR I got it running again and drove it home immediately. When I checked the oil it looked kind of like milk so I removed the drain plug and let it drain for about 2 days. I replaced and cleaned all the filters and filled it back up with oil and so far it seems to be holding up. The problem is when I drive my quad it skips really bad. At idle its ok and at WOT it runs fine but cruising it skips like hell. I've drained the carb, gas tank, changed the spark plug, and ran a little carb cleaner in the gas. Its been almost 2 weeks now and still no change. Any suggestions??

Old 11-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

I would sell it.....

Old 11-08-2006, 11:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You know how many people have done the same thing? Take the carb off let it soak in cleaner over night, do a complete carb kit, it does not take much crud at all to make it act up.

Do a search here or on Google because drowning a ATV is so common there is probably a standard procedure.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

You guys think its in the carb? Is it hard to remove and get back together?? Also what kind of cleaner would you suggest? I've never worked on a carb before but I am very mechanically skilled. I just heard that you can really screw up a lot by toying with the carb.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TLC
You know how many people have done the same thing? Take the carb off let it soak in cleaner over night, do a complete carb kit, it does not take much crud at all to make it act up.

Do a search here or on Google because drowning a ATV is so common there is probably a standard procedure.
drowning a ATV is common, but driving home with water in your oil DID DAMAGE THE ENGINE how much damage is to be seen... water+piston/bearings= worn/damaged

Old 11-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

I drove it from the backyard to the garage. Maybe 1/4 mile. This is the 2nd time I've done this but last time i only changed the oil and it ran like new. This time it skips when I'm cruising.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:52 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Use carb cleaner again but this time submerge it in a container over night. Here a diagram of you carb to follow, buy a carb kit and replace only the parts in the kit.450 carb

Hard to believe you have engine damage if it runs good at WOT. Any bearing or piston or crank issuse would show up pretty quickly flying down the road at 55mph I would think.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Can I just soak the entire carb or do I need to take it completely apart? I've ridden this quad for 2 weeks now and have NO knocking or any out of the ordinary noises at all. It runs completely fine at 55mph down the highway.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:07 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Well ATVing is my secondary sport but here is what my sled forum friends say about cleaning carbs. How to clean a carb.

Dont worry sled carbs and ATVs are more or less the same. If your really worried take the carb off and bring it to you dealer, but it back on yourself,you save $$ that way.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Also while you are in there, unplug all the electrical connections you can find, dry them and clean them out. Some of those tight connections will hold water in there and literally never dry out it seems. Put some dielectric grease in them and see if that with the good carb cleaning helps.

Quick Reply: Kodiak 450 is not a submarine-Need help now