Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

95 wolverine carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 wolverine carb problems

My 95 wolverine has a problem midrange. When I give it gas it just cuts out and spudders till full throttle. I have changed needle positions to the 2 nd notch and still have the same problem. I changed it to the 4th nothch and same results. I have changed the carb to a different one and it runs the same. Now I am thinkin it must be something in the wiring? Does anyone know or have any suggestions on what I should look for?

Old 11-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the connection.

If the bike is stock then we can obviously rule out jetting.

Check the spark plug and the spark plug cap. One instance I had was that my spark plug wire came loose from the plug cap and you couldnt tell just by looking at it. Another thing that I've had go bad is the ignition coil.

You can rule out a parking brake rev-limiter problem since this wasnt introduced until 1996. The last thing that I can think to check for other than something major would be a small tear in the intake manifold. Yes this is likley to happen since its been on there 11 years and has been hot and then cooled countless times. They dry out and the rubber cab easily have a small tear in it creating a problem similar to what you have described. Take it off and check it over good.

Adam

Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Every thing I have on this bike says it is a 1995 model. It does have the parking brake rev limiter on it. I have changed the intake and checked for leaks. Everythingis fine there. I have chamged to spark plug countless times ,Checked the coil and still no luck. I still think it is in the wiring somewhere?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I didnt think that it had a parking brake rev limiter I guess I was wrong. Just to make sure that is not the case, go to the rear brake caliper and make sure that the parking brake cable is not actuated the slightest bit. I was working on a 2003 Raptor that a friend of mine has and we checked evreything as you have and even checked that the brake wasnt on. It wasnt until we made sure that the brake wasnt still set on the rear of the caliper that we had any luck. I cant remember what we had to pull to make it go off, but its easy, just common sense, set the parking brake and see what it moves on the rear caliper and unset it back by hand to make sure you have it completely off because sometimes they dont go all the way back by themselves. This is a common problem on many Yamaha's.

I mean this may not be your problem but its worth a shot. If this doesnt fix it, I would probably be willing to bet that it is something in your wiring as well.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you positive its a 95? I have a 95, and it has no rev limiter ( and I have the warped brake rotor to prove it) the 95 has the Warrior styel carb, with the bolt on rubber / metal boot to the head, while the newer ones are a CV style carb that uses a clamp on the carb to hold it on instead of bolts. One problem with acceleration on the 95 was the spring on the accel pump would stick, and you bog out until the main jet flows enough to take over, then you were fine until you hit the throttle from idle or slow speed. Mine had a bad miss on the top end that was the stator coil for the ignition not set right, and it would miss,but only at the very top end of the rpms. If you have a rev limit, you have a 96, but maybe someone put a different carb on it??

Old 11-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK I have checked the VIN # and it is a 1996 model. It does have the parking brake and rev limiter on it. I am still looking for a wiring problem. I have the carb that clamps on and have installed a card off a 2000 model Wolverine on it . Still does the same thing. That is why I think it is wiring. Also the cable that shirts it to reversre is stuck. My son just has it so when you shirt it into reverse it goes in gear. Does the reverse have something electrical on it to make it cut out at mid throttle? I havea new cable ordered but it will take about a week to get here. Any help will be appreciated.