Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Having problems changing oil!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems changing oil!!!

I have been trying to change the oil in my raptor 700 and im a little confused. Can i use the plug next to the oil filter to refil the crank case. There is a seperate oil tank. Someone told me you have to fill the oil tank turn the bike on let the oil go into the motor. When the tank is empty refil the tank? That seems a little risky. What is the right thing to do?

Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

you need to fill the oil tank then run the bike for a while then let the oil settle down then check the level on the dipstick then just fill the tank until you reach the full level on the dipstick

Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Range Rover

That screw that is on top of the oil filter cover is for filling the filter if you want to. It is way to small to get a funnel or pour oil into so good luck getting oil into it. I drain my then remove the filter and install a new filter install the cover and then fill the oil tank crank up the bike and let it idle till the oil gets pumped into the filter and motor then turn the bike off. CHeck the oil tank and add till the dip stick showes full. Run it one more time and check it a second time. I also have a little tube and small holder that I fill the filter up but it is not necessary to do that. I also have a aluminum after market tank that holds one extra quart of oil that help keep the temp down. Check for leaks before you head out on the trail and check the oil level when the bike is on a flat surface.
Hope this helps.