Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 raPtor..clunking noise chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 raPtor..clunking noise chain

I was out on the trails when I began to hear some clunking noise. When I got off the quad and pushed it to see if I could hear where it was comming from. Then I got back on and drove really slow while listening to see if I could see where the problem was. I realized it was comming from the front part of the chain. You will have to excuse my explanation of the parts because I don't know what most of them are. Anyway, there are three little pullies it looks like and then the small sprocket and chain. Thats where the noise is comming from. It looks like to me that those little pullies are not always touching the chain, is that supposed to be that way. Well, it looks like another trip to the shop for me.. I would appreciate any feedback because I would like to fix it myself if I can. Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks alot to anyone that can help me out.
Dan

Old 11-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

OK well those little pullies I was talking about, the real name for them is chain rollers.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

lube the chain....

and no they do not always touch the rollers

just make sure u have 1/2 play when sitting on it( not much diff from when at stand still usually)

Old 11-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

I lubed the chain with castrol chain wax.. the night prior..

Old 11-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

before just compulsively taknig it t othe sho plets try to diagnose some more...

what exactly is it doing?

Old 11-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

kinked link or crunchy axle bearings

buy a link dekinker or possibly some axle bearings

Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have a skidplate for the rear sprocket/disk brake?

Old 11-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Range Rover

I had the same noise on mine only I thought it was coming from the tranny. It was the axle bearings. When they go out the axle shifts to an angle and the chain binds on the front sprocket making the noise your hearing. It is an easy fix and cheap as well. I got my new bearings on ebay for $26.00 including shipping. That was front bearings and seals and rear bearings and seals. If that is your problem, get a sealed bearing. The stock bearings are not a sealed bearing, just have a seal outside the housing. If you don't have a Clymer manual then get one. Best tool you can buy. If you deside not to get a manual then I can explain it to you but like I said it is the best tool you can buy and you will find that you use it all the time. If the axle has never been off then it will be a pain to get off but it's really not that big a deal.

Someone said that you should have 1/2 inch of slack in your chain when sitting on the quad. The amount of slack is going to change depending on the wait of the rider. To properly adjust the chain the rear end should be off the ground and you should have about an inch of slack in the chain. This is not going to do you any good at this point though if you have bad bearings.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally posted by: BassBlaster
I had the same noise on mine only I thought it was coming from the tranny. It was the axle bearings. When they go out the axle shifts to an angle and the chain binds on the front sprocket making the noise your hearing. It is an easy fix and cheap as well. I got my new bearings on ebay for $26.00 including shipping. That was front bearings and seals and rear bearings and seals. If that is your problem, get a sealed bearing. The stock bearings are not a sealed bearing, just have a seal outside the housing. If you don't have a Clymer manual then get one. Best tool you can buy. If you deside not to get a manual then I can explain it to you but like I said it is the best tool you can buy and you will find that you use it all the time. If the axle has never been off then it will be a pain to get off but it's really not that big a deal.

Someone said that you should have 1/2 inch of slack in your chain when sitting on the quad. The amount of slack is going to change depending on the wait of the rider. To properly adjust the chain the rear end should be off the ground and you should have about an inch of slack in the chain. This is not going to do you any good at this point though if you have bad bearings.

in the manual it says 1/2 to 3/4 of slack when sittinn on it... it doesn't matter what you're weight is.. it still should be the same

Old 11-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Range Rover

Hey thanks for all the input. Speedy, the only thing I am sure of is the noise sounds like its comming from the area where the chain and the front sprocket meet. Its covered by something so I really cant see if something is stuck in there. It only makes the noise when I am on it. When I got off and rolled it there was no clunking noise. I do have the skid plates , I took the big one off to try and get a better look but it didn't help. Thanks alot for all the input. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Dan

Quick Reply: 02 raPtor..clunking noise chain