Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

kodiak rear axle seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kodiak rear axle seal

i finally got the classic 05 left rear axle seal leak. what are the dealerships usually charging for this service. if it's rediculous i'll just learn myself. thanks, loafie

Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

if you do take it to a dealer for repair seceretly mark the old seal and all the nuts and bolts and when you get it done look at ur marks and see if the dealer really did remove it, I bet the dealer will just take a can of brake cleaner and clean it off then drain the oil out so there is no oil to leak out and tell you he replaced the seal. I wouldn't allow any ATV Dealer to fix my wheelbarrow, DO IT YOURSELF !!!!! oh, yea another thing I have seen this done, dealers will take and switch good parts from ur ATV and install the parts on another customers ATV then they will call you and say they found something else wrong with ur ATV they have the bad part to show you whats wrong with it, and you will see that part is missing from ur ATV and you will think that bad part was taken off ur ATV, then they make money by billing you and another customer for the same one part, ur ATV isnot safe at any dealership, they are crooks, another reason to do it yourself.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Mine only leaks enough to collect a little dust....prolly never even lost a drop out of it.....I say who cares??? what is a little oil film gonna hurt on a quad that runs thru mud anyway!

Old 11-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Range Rover

sounds good to me!

Old 11-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Trailblazer

i like the sound of that too...

Old 11-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Trailblazer

My dealer fixed mine for free as it was still under warranty.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Mine leaks too!
I've kept a close eye on the fluid level and it never changes. It must leak just enough to make dust stick. I've check it dozens of times, before a ride and after,hot and cold, clean or muddy and still no change in the fluid.
So I'm just goning to watch it some more.
I'd like to know just how much trouble it is to replace?

Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 98 grizzly 600. It is also leaking, BUT it is in the front differential on the left. I just found it yesterday and i will certainly not be taking it to a dealer cause it cost too much money and i dont trust them either. So i will be replacing a seal i suppose. It doesnt leak badily though, just like yalls just enough to collect dust and stuff. I am also going to replace the fluid. I have never had to do this before so it will be my first time replacing seal and all. I suppose i will have to take out the axle to replace the seal. i dred this. How do i check the amount of fluid is in it now and for later use?

Old 11-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

WOWO! you dont know how to check fluid and expect to change the seal! Well there is a big bolt on top take it off andf a lil should run out! But for all of yall saying you going to leave it, your not worried about water getting in throught it??? That would be my only reall consern!

Old 11-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer

you CAN NOT CHECK it on my atv. YOU have a polaris and a Beartracker. I HAVE a 1998 YR model GRIZZLY.

Quick Reply: kodiak rear axle seal