Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shandy turbos

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shandy turbos

Theres finally a reasonably priced turbo on the market. Shandy turbos has a garrett gt12 turbo kit for the raptor 700 and its priced at a measly 2500 bucks. Thats pretty good compared to the KMS system which isover 4000. If you guys find a cheaper one let me know but as of right now thats the one im gettin in march when i go out west riding
heres the link http://www.shandyturbos.com/yamaharaptor.html

Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shandy turbos

Are you sure you want to turbo charge it? What kind of riding do you like to do? This page says nothing about lowing the compression on the motor. Boosting a motor that is 9.2:1 sounds like a risk unless your talking about only a pound or two of boost. It would be nice if they had some hard facts on the system. Since they don't talk about a wastegate, I would ask what kind of boost controler they run and how much boost. It would be nice to be able to run race fuel if needed but turn down the boost if you plan to do some riding on the trails. Also, Its not a big deal, but for custom setups I personaly don't like wastegates built into the housing. If the motor is built up right for it, a turbo charged motor can last just as long as one that isn't. Overboosting, too much compression and heat will eat up your motor pretty quick. A turbo can do a good job of giving you all 3 if its not dialed in right. If I ever turbo charged a ATV or motorcycle, I would be running lower compression pistons or a thicker head/base gasket, Have the crank checked out and install stronger connecting rods, a inner cooler, and I would also have a wideband O2 sensor and EGT. The whole idea is that you want your motor to be built like a tank. This is why diesel motors turbo charge so well.. they are built from the factory to put up with tons of compression, 23:1 in a lot of cases. Stronger crank, rods, smaller tolerances all allow the motor to take boost but at much lower RPMS. So if you want to be boosting a gas motor that will rev out to 9000, you gotta build it up in order to take the extra stress. If you have a 9.2:1 piston now, if its boosted its going to feel like 10:1 or 11:1 so that won't work without race fuel. The boosted charge will also be heated due to the turbo and can lead to detonation. Cams with lots of overlap that made for good top end power on a natural aspirated motor can waste fuel when boosted. Its all the little things you have to take into account.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shandy turbos

Originally posted by: rruser
Are you sure you want to turbo charge it? What kind of riding do you like to do? This page says nothing about lowing the compression on the motor. Boosting a motor that is 9.2:1 sounds like a risk unless your talking about only a pound or two of boost. It would be nice if they had some hard facts on the system. Since they don't talk about a wastegate, I would ask what kind of boost controler they run and how much boost. It would be nice to be able to run race fuel if needed but turn down the boost if you plan to do some riding on the trails. Also, Its not a big deal, but for custom setups I personaly don't like wastegates built into the housing. If the motor is built up right for it, a turbo charged motor can last just as long as one that isn't. Overboosting, too much compression and heat will eat up your motor pretty quick. A turbo can do a good job of giving you all 3 if its not dialed in right. If I ever turbo charged a ATV or motorcycle, I would be running lower compression pistons or a thicker head/base gasket, Have the crank checked out and install stronger connecting rods, a inner cooler, and I would also have a wideband O2 sensor and EGT. The whole idea is that you want your motor to be built like a tank. This is why diesel motors turbo charge so well.. they are built from the factory to put up with tons of compression, 23:1 in a lot of cases. Stronger crank, rods, smaller tolerances all allow the motor to take boost but at much lower RPMS. So if you want to be boosting a gas motor that will rev out to 9000, you gotta build it up in order to take the extra stress. If you have a 9.2:1 piston now, if its boosted its going to feel like 10:1 or 11:1 so that won't work without race fuel. The boosted charge will also be heated due to the turbo and can lead to detonation. Cams with lots of overlap that made for good top end power on a natural aspirated motor can waste fuel when boosted. Its all the little things you have to take into account.

um some is true. 9.2 to 1 isnt to high for boost and one or 2 lbs? 5-6 is safe. since ur fuel injected that makes things alot ezer. all your getting is a turbo kit. it says nothing about the computer or injectors/jets ( however hte 700 raptor puts in fuel, im not really fimilar with it). maby they just left that out. id call them and speek with someone and ask what els is needed for the bike to run safely besides whats included in the kit. 75% of the time you get what you pay for, 1/2 the price, 1/2 the quality. 4k is alot for a atv turbo kit. id rather keep it na and get a bigger motor, cams, and spray. turbos are nast tho, thats y i sold my mustang with nitrous, next project is a turbo fox body [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shandy turbos

Since you bought up Mustangs, Look up the specs on Mustang GT vs the Shelby GT500. Happen to notice what changed when they added a supercharger? I'll give you a hint.. it starts with an 8. Now i'm sure you can run a turbo at 4-8lbs of boost on the stock raptor motor and it will work fine. But i'm also sure you could get a lot more life and power out of it by doing the proper prep work. I'm just not the kind of person to buy a $4500 "bolt-on" and hope its going to work like it should with no insight. Not everyone wants to rebuild their motor every winter.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shandy turbos

tahts cause its a factory viecal. my cuz has a 89 with a BONE STOCK MOTOR, everything from intake manifold to the oil pan. the only things it has on it that arnt stock related to the motor is 42lb injectors, mass air, arp head studs and gasktes. o ya and a turbo from a powerstroke @ 14 psi. 12.20's with a lil bit of a traction issue. no problems and hes been runnin that for 4 months like that so far. teh motor has 170,000+ on it and it wont blow. one of my frienda has a 92 lx 5.0 with edelbroc heads cam intake and 132k on the STOCK bottom end, running 11psi with a turbo and no problems. hes had that setup for 3 months short of 2 years. im not tryin to pick a fight or nothing, i just dont see any problem wiht running boost on somethin with compression in the 9 to one range.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shandy turbos

Originally posted by: Nardski
Theres finally a reasonably priced turbo on the market. Shandy turbos has a garrett gt12 turbo kit for the raptor 700 and its priced at a measly 2500 bucks. Thats pretty good compared to the KMS system which isover 4000. If you guys find a cheaper one let me know but as of right now thats the one im gettin in march when i go out west riding
heres the link http://www.shandyturbos.com/yamaharaptor.html
Maybe you should pay attention to exactly what you're looking at over at KMS. If you do look you'll see the kit they advertise online is the turbo for the 660 raptor and includes a fuel injection system that is about 1500 bucks on it's own. Why don't you try calling them up and see what they have for you before you drop close to 3k into your bike from the lowest bidder.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default Shandy turbos

A mob in Australia have a intercooled turbo 700 raptor stock motor making 78hp they are running 12pound of boost check it out www.explosiveracing.com.au

Trending Topics

Old 11-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default Shandy turbos

well they do have a lot of cool stuff buy all of it seems extremely over priced, for example the pro flow air filter was over 100 dollars more than i payed for it. and camshafts were 520 dollars more than trinity's. I asked them how much the turbo was and i wont be suprised if its more than 5000.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer
Default Shandy turbos

All those prices are in australian dollars which is cheaper than us dollars.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shandy turbos

Originally posted by: JET762
All those prices are in australian dollars which is cheaper than us dollars.

Quick Reply: Shandy turbos