Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Preferred Customer Maintenance Package?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preferred Customer Maintenance Package?????

I just bought a 07 Griz 700. Of course the dealership tries to sell you everything they can after the initial sale. They are pushing the P.C.M.P. stating that the total for 3 years of service @ regular price would be $4972.10 and I can buy it for $1498.00 now. This covers:

They tried scaring me with the fuel injection and Computer diagnostics requiring special tools to do the services. I am more than capable of doing my own valve adjustments and am always looking for an excuse to buy more tools. Are the services really that difficult on the 700? Is this a good deal? I seem to think it is on the high side. What are the maintenance requirements for it? I know the first service is suppose to be at 10hrs. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:13 PM
    Trailblazer

the manitnace reguirments are found in the owners manual. But as far as getting that package... If you have the money than why not! i mean look at the side of this thing all plastic! I would be afraid to change the spark plug let alone adjust the valves without snaping some of the plastic!! or you could just take it in every year and have a diag check done and do other maint. ur self!?

Old 12-04-2006, 08:47 PM
    Extreme Pro Rider

Any kind of extended plans, warranty plans, etc is just a waste of money. There's no way you need to do nearly that much work within 3 years. The only kind of maintainance that plan actually covers that is necessary is the oil changes and an occasional valve adjustment maybe. It's all stuff you can do yourself. An oil change will cost like 30 bucks each if you do it yourself, and it takes like half an hour for most people. That's just dumb about the battery thing, that original battery will probably last 5 years before it needs to be replaced the first time.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 AM
    Trailblazer

I tend to think it is a waste of money also. I know that I am not going to put that many hours/miles on it to need the oil change every 3 months, and as long as you use synthetic oil there is no reason to change the oil on a time basis, only on a usage basis. I keep my vehicles in a climate controlled environment (60 to 90 degrees) and I live in Vegas, so there is no humidity to speak of. What type of scanner is necessary for the Diagnostics????? I tried to order a service (shop) manual today when I picked it up, but they didn't have it listed. They are suppose to call me after they call Yamaha and tell me the cost. Thanks for the input so far....

Old 12-05-2006, 09:26 AM
    Pro Rider

Go on ebay, rockymountainatv.com, or bikebandit.com for that manual. These will be cheaper than your dealer and a lot faster.