Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

about to purchase a 700 grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006 | 10:54 PM
|
Range Rover
Default about to purchase a 700 grizzly

I went to the dealership tonight and after debating in my head for a long time on what to get, it's between the AC, King Quad, and grizzly 700. I am now in the process of purchasing the grizzly, but still have this uneasy feeling like maybe I should be getting the King quad for $1000 less. I got offered the grizzly in the camo outdoorsman edition with rear hard case storage box, front rack gun clips, fender extentions, and a $69 winch for a total of $7999 before taxes.

Do you think I made the right decision? Is the power steering, plastic skid plate, gun clips, storage box, fender extentions, extra 1 1/2 in of ground clearence, and camo color worth the $1000 more I'ld pay over the King Quad? I got to ride the King Quad and it felt plenty comfortable to me, but I'm sure the grizzly is just as comfortable. does the extra ground clearance on the grizzly make a difference?

I'm sure I won't be uneasy about it once it's sitting in my driveway, but right now I'm almost thinking about calling them and telling them to make it the King Quad instead, because they have been out for years and are pretty much known as reliable. (after changing the air filter, that is)

So help me put my mind at ease and tell me how you all like your grizzlies or don't like them and give your opinions on which would be the better quad for me.
I will be riding trails, ditches, woods, hill climbing and decsending, some mud, some fast pace riding, some slow lazy riding, hunting, small to medium rock crawling, maybe going over some low logs, some water up to the foot rests.

Old 12-07-2006 | 11:11 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

They are both good machines but I honestly think you would like the Grizzly better. The Grizzly feels more stable at higher speeds to me. They both have a really light, easy to drive feel on a slow ride (hunting, exploring, just putting around). When the trail gets rough the Grizzly is nicer (easier to steer, less steering deflection when hitting obstacles) and to me I'd say it is worth the extra price over the long run...

Old 12-07-2006 | 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Well...My buddy has a grizz 700 and i must say its a really good bike, personally I like it alot. Ive never been on the AC, i have ridden the kingquad and the grizz is a much better ride. Also check out the latest issue of dirt wheels mag. there is a shoot-out that I think will help you with your decision.

Old 12-07-2006 | 11:32 PM
|
Range Rover

thank you, your 2 responses already eased my mind. thanks for the quick reply, now lets hear more.
I probably will stick with the grizzly. I was reading rider reviews on the Power Sports Network and there is nothing but 5 star ratings.
How does this thing do with 2 people? I noticed the seat seemed shorter on the grizzly, but would an aftermarket rack mounted seat be plenty enough room?
Do you know what the article title is in that magazine so I can check it out online?

Old 12-07-2006 | 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

many people use them, but they are not intended for use of 2 up riding.......

Old 12-08-2006 | 12:46 AM
|
Range Rover

yeah, it will mostly be single, but every once in a while i might ride 2up

Old 12-08-2006 | 05:40 AM
Pro Rider

If you're wanting to ride 2-up you're better off getting a proper 2-up ATV. like the Outlander or Polaris.

The Grizz 700 is an outstanding single rider ATV from all reports I'm getting though. Not made for 2 riders though.

Old 12-08-2006 | 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

I paid same price for plain green griz so you are getting a pretty fair deal if price is worrying you. But I needed mine for September rides and had to get deposit down in July before anyone had them in stock.
The Griz is the best machine of the two but only you can decide if living with second best is worth $1,000. The extra $1,000 will not seem like very much in 6 months when you are wishing you had the Yamaha.

Old 12-08-2006 | 11:49 AM
|
Range Rover

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
If you're wanting to ride 2-up you're better off getting a proper 2-up ATV. like the Outlander or Polaris.

The Grizz 700 is an outstanding single rider ATV from all reports I'm getting though. Not made for 2 riders though.
I want a single rider machine, but basically was asking if the king quad fit 2 people better than the grizzly. I don't need a two up machine, I remember when I use to ride a 3 wheeler 2 up with a person on the front handle bars also. Same goes with the honda 4trax I use to ride. I've never had any issues riding 2 up on a single built machine. it just meens you don't take quit as steep of inclines with a 2nd rider
I am going to stick with the grizzly, because once I have it, I won't even think about the extra cost.

I can't remember if it was the grizzly that had the boiling gas problem, but if so, did they fix that problem for the 700

Old 12-08-2006 | 12:21 PM
DS2
Range Rover

It sounds like a good deal. We have a camo Grizzly and paid $7900 OTD with the winch. We like it a lot so far and everyone who has ridden it says it's the best machine they've been on. My die-hard Polaris loving brother-in-law refers to it as the Caddy. I've never been on an AC, so I can't help you compare, but it's actually my wifes' quad and she wouldn't thinkof getting rid of it. Guess I'll need my own utility vehicle some day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: about to purchase a 700 grizzly