Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Headlights

I have had a frustrating time with my Kodiaks headlights. The sockets in which the bulb goes had not making contact with the bulb causing intermitten outages, and they both did it. I never liked the design, a real pain to change and found a new one only lasted a few months. So I went to the local Wallyworld and found a set of 4" blue driving lights that mounted reativly easy into the factory holes. They are 55 watts and have a H3 bulb. Wow what a difference, and they look awesome. I rewired them to the original wiring, it was all the same gauge, and they work off the factory switch. I will update my pics with some of the new headlights in a day or two.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Range Rover

yeah, those little bulbs look like they belong in a tail light instead of a headlight. my 650 brute lights are like flamethrowers compared to my kodiak. would like to see some pics from your conversion.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Range Rover

Loafie, I just posted a pic of the new headlights. I did have to change the bolts holding the new light in the grill, I got some at Auto Zone, the new ones were 1" long. I also used a 1/2 " rubber space the make the lights fit tigthly in the grill. The grilll has to come completly out to get to all the screws holding the lights in. You might refer to Ronnies.com for an exploded view of the grill to figure out where all the fasteners are at. All in all it will take a couple of hours to get them in, but it is well worth the time.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

those look awesome!!! nice work!

Old 12-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

NICE JOB !!!.......very clean! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Range Rover

them look like some real flamethrowers! what's the brand? they gotta big choice at my local wal mart.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

The lights I bought are Navigator brand "truck driving lights". The part number is NV-602 WK. They have a 55w H3 bulb. They come with mounting brackets but I didn't use them. I just bolted it directly to the grill plastic. It makes me wish I had blue plastic, they would really look cool on a blue Kodiak or Grizzly. The box has a link, www.pilotautomotive.com. Oh thanks,glad you all like them.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:14 AM
Trailblazer

are they sealed, will they handle going under water?

Old 12-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Range Rover

They do have a rubber grommet where the wire passes thru the back of the light assembly, and the lens appears to be well sealed in the front. Only time and a few trips thru deep water will tell for sure I guess. They are a big improvement over stock, imo.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Had a chance to try your lights on a ride yet? How did you address the HI - LOW issue with only two wires on the lights, being that the stock wire consists of three wires? Curious if they might drain the battery as well. Looks pretty damn slick though!

Quick Reply: Kodiak Headlights