Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 700efi modification trial and error info that may save you $$

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 700efi modification trial and error info that may save you $$

well I recently bought a 700 raptor and wanted to throw a few simple bolt on mods on the bike to add some dune reliable horsepower . I hate wasting my hard earned money on do nothing parts that in some cases can even make things worse so I decided to do some testing and research of my own. to start I bought a white brothers efi controller and a mod quad intake kit and didn't install them I took the bike and parts to a freinds atv Dyno equiped shop to add 1 mod at a time and see how much hp each part added. my freind is also a custom pipe builder who's name I am not going to mention as he likes his privacy but he makes high end single and dual stainless exhaust systems for the 700 raptor and they are all real stepped computer bent stainless tube with laser cut flanges with mostly polished billet silencer parts . really nice pipes. anyway, he also has a raptor 700 and he bought the pro design intake kit. when we compared the two we found that the pro design had a much larger billet filter mount which was cnc ported to the shape of a velocity stack to help smooth air flow . my mod quad unit was just a smaller piece of pipe with square edges and a considerably smaller through hole. we didnt even install the modquad unit and went with the prodesign. when we installed the white brothers box on my bike we noticed that it was identical in appearance to the Trinity box my buddy bought for his bike. while running my bike on the Dyno the exhaust gas analizer kept saying the bike was rich at idle so we tried to use the boxes low speed adjustment to lean out the idle as per instructions . adjusting the box all the way to the lowest setting made no difference at all. we then tried to go as rich as possible and found that the box made no difference at all on the low speed setting no matter what we did. the next day I got on the phone with white brothers racing(no easy task) and they couldnt tell me much about the box and refered me to its manufacturer, Dubach industries. turns out Dubach makes both white brothers , Trinity and their own Dubach labeled boxes but they arent all programed the same inside. white brothers orders their boxes with a basically non adjustable low speed setting. well the box makes no difference till 6000rpm! this is what I was told by the Dubach tech who read the specs for the box while I was on the phone with him. he went on to inform me that the trinity box will adjust anywhere from 1000 rpm's on up. the dubach box on the otherhand uses older technology and uses adjustment pots instead of simple push buttons like the other 2. after installing the trinity box I was able to fatten up or lean way out the idle and right off idle area and make the bike just purr. after 4 hours of fine tuning and adjusting both boxes for max horsepower they both made near identical power up top. as for pipes , I can only say that the dual system made between 2 and 3 more hp than than the single system but when you consider that the extra canister only weighs about 4 more pounds 3hp can easily offset the 4lb difference on the hill. the cost difference between a single system and duals is pretty considerable but if you want max hp and can afford it they are the way to go. and I'm worth it! anyway , if your considering some upgrades I hope this info is of use to you . it may save you time and hassle and will definately make your fuel system more manageable.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I'll be damned..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm using the Dobeck TFI (Gen II, the one with the pots). The one's I've been seeing with various pipe manufacturers logos on them are the Dobeck (or Dubach, I think their the same company) Gen III. I've seen them for Trinity, HMF, and I think CT and LRD aswell and now WB. They always looked to me to be made from the same manufacturer BUT I had no idea they would actually differ from one another...........thats kind of F-ed up. Now we have to wonder which one works the best...........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Makes me glad I have the basic Gen II.........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Anyways, thanks for the heads up!

Old 12-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

well Im not a big Trinity fan but I can say their box works well where the white brothers was a big disappointment. I mean, the reason for buying a box like this is to be able to adjust stuff and if I can even adjust idle mixture, whats the point in having it....

Old 12-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

I am suprised that after running them EFI Busa engines you didn't go with a PCIII USB

For good 700R info check this out Linkage

Old 12-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

this simple to use trinity box is plenty good for the 700r plus the power commander isnt a totally sealed unit

Old 12-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: supersonictoys
this simple to use trinity box is plenty good for the 700r plus the power commander isnt a totally sealed unit
Define simple, I think the PCIII is way easier to tune with.
I have around 200 hrs on mine and the PCIII has been flawless, I only ride the dunes so I don't worry about it being a totally sealed unit.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

well both the white brothers and the Trinty box have 3 buttons. a + and a - and a mode button and 8 led's . the mode button selects between low speed , mid range and high speed settings . once you have the mode set to the range you want to adjust one of the led's will be lit showing where this range is set now. push + to richen and - to lean . the leds will change accordingly to show the changes. how can it get any easier? so what happens if you pressure wash your bike or get caught in a down pour? even condensation can get to a power commander. I have had both and prefer this setup over the commander. its also about the size of a credit card and can be velcro mounted anywhere and enough length is left in the wiring to allow you to bring the unit out from under the seat and make adjustments while running the bike on the dyno

Old 12-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how can it get any easier? .
Uhhhh, you do like me, and buy a PC 3 with a dynoed map installed at purchase, and it runs perfect. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

so what happens if you pressure wash your bike or get caught in a down pour? even condensation can get to a power commander
Putting it in a plastic freezer bag with the opening zip tied around the wiring has worked very well for me during extreme wet conditions and washings.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: supersonictoys
well both the white brothers and the Trinty box have 3 buttons. a + and a - and a mode button and 8 led's . the mode button selects between low speed , mid range and high speed settings . once you have the mode set to the range you want to adjust one of the led's will be lit showing where this range is set now. push + to richen and - to lean . the leds will change accordingly to show the changes. how can it get any easier? so what happens if you pressure wash your bike or get caught in a down pour? even condensation can get to a power commander. I have had both and prefer this setup over the commander. its also about the size of a credit card and can be velcro mounted anywhere and enough length is left in the wiring to allow you to bring the unit out from under the seat and make adjustments while running the bike on the dyno

I am familiar with how the Dobeck Gen II and Gen III boxes work , I just was trying to figure out how you felt it was easier is all.
To me, easy is plugging in the USB cord to my lap top and highlighting a cell or colum of cells and hitting page up or down depending on if I want to lean it or fatten it. That and I think the PCIII dials in a lot better on the dyno and gives a smoother more ridable power delivery and faster acceleration.
As far as pressure washing a sand quad, well I have never needed to do that I just use the garden hose and the wash mit. I have gotten my PCIII wet before at Florence OR and it didn't effect it any. But hey, whatever works best for you, I'm glad your happy with your controller [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Putting it in a plastic freezer bag with the opening zip tied around the wiring has worked very well for me during extreme wet conditions and washings.

Good idea for those that ride in extreme conditions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Raptor 700efi modification trial and error info that may save you $$