Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bad Starter on Raptor 660???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Starter on Raptor 660???

Regarding 02 Raptor starter issues, be prepared to replace the starter throw out bearing with an L&A One Way bearing and main idle gear. All the guys with 02 Raptors I ride with had the same repair.

Good luck

Old 12-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

if the solinoid just clicks its dead battery or starter is crap

Old 12-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have had the very same problem, at first my quad just kept making the lcicking noise, so i bought a new starter, a new relay, and rewired all major connections to the battery and starter. Still no go, i would love to know what is wrong just as bad as you. it now doesnt click the starter tries to turn the engine over and does so once but not fast or enough times to get the engine to fire, the terminals also get really warm

Old 12-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

also i have a new interstate battery

Old 12-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

need a battery with more cold cranking amps

Old 12-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

More cranking amps, yes, i figured that so I took my Dodge Durango, which has a oversized batttery, and jumped it through my battery, which should ideally spin that starter as if there was no compression in my engine.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

Well....right now, its a waiting game. My new Starter didn't come UPS on Friday, so I've got the quad apart waiting until Monday.

00yamaharace, it sounds like your having the same problem, so I'll keep you and everyone else posted on the progress. For now, I'm Overalling the computer for the weekend....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'm big on working on and solving problems with my quad, so I'm waiting as patiently as I can to get back to wrenching on it....COME ON MONDAY!!!!!!!

I've tested my battery, and it's still fully charged (fires my wifes Raptor no problem). If I wasn't scared of getting my azz kicked by my wife, I'd tear hers apart and swap parts until I figured it out...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]..LOL.

I will post more Monday evening.....Thanks again for all the tips, everyone....This messageboard has some great, knowledgeable readers and I appreciate all the help.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

Update.....OK, this is interesting. Just being curious about the CDI box, I decided to pull it out and give it the once-over. When I removed the battery, and unbolted the CDI...I found a few wires that had apparantly gotten pinched under the Battery when I installed it.

About 3 wires were wore completely through (from the center connector)...I'm gonna still wait until Monday after the Starter Motor arrives before I put the beast back together...just to be sure...

....my fingers are crossed, because I'm gonna leave pulling the Stator out as a last ditch effort....wish me luck!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

Still waiting on the Starter to show up.....probably behind because of the X-mas rush....

..but I got to thinking. The quad ran fine after I put the new battery in. It seemed to get harder and harder to start after I shut it off and started it over and over again. This would be due to the Stator (generator) not charging the battery after each start, so its solely relying on the battery's power.

The battery power is depleted, no start.

Makes sense to me......agree????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have a similar problem myself.....just have'nt had time to run the problem down. New higher amp Grizzly battery and new starter and the slow cranking still exists. Have double checked all wiring and made sure everything is secure. As done earlier, the relay has been replaced as well. When the starter is engaged the engine will "try" to crank over but something just won't let it. I try this for several tries and then try engine will all of a sudden start cranking and eventually start. These problems even started well before installation of a new L and A 1 way. Good luck guys.

Quick Reply: Bad Starter on Raptor 660???