Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bad Starter on Raptor 660???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Starter on Raptor 660???

Hi everyone....I'm new to the forums. I've been a long time reader, but never posted.....until now....I need some helpful advise...

I have an '02 Raptor 660, and just this past weekend, I was riding with some friends in the desert. We took a break, and shut the quads off...

...when I tried starting mine again, it sounded like the Starter Motor cranked over once, then as I held the Start Button, the Starter Relay box was making a fast paced ticking sound. I thought maybe the quad was hot, so I let it cool off. To make a long story short, It never started. Just the same one turn of the Starter Motor, than the ticking.

The quad has been sitting in my garage all week, and I just went out to start it......same story.

I think it's a bad Starter Motor, my friend thinks it may be a bad Stator........what do you guys and gals think???

Any help is greatly appreciated.....Thanks-a-million...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

check all connections.... if those are good check voltage of battery! If you arent hearing in major noises (gears) then i would think its something simple!

Old 12-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, bad350.......I thought it was the battery at first also, so I replaced it. The battery's definitely putting out juice, but the problem still exists.

I also checked all connections, even cleaned them with Contact Cleaner...to no avail....

This is the first problem I've had with my Raptor, so I'm freaking out....LMAO....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2006, 04:52 AM
Pro Rider
Hasn't given up on the 660 just yet...

As long as the battery connections are very clean and tight its likely that the realy is bad. I have seen several go bad.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

02 raptors had a starter problem i blealeave. i dont remember exactly what it was but the guy who i got mine from said it had the started swapped out so it wont have the problem any more.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: SCHOLLE
As long as the battery connections are very clean and tight its likely that the realy is bad. I have seen several go bad.
Thanks for the advise, SCHOLLE. Since I had time this weekend, my wife also has a Raptor, so I decided to swap my relay with hers.....no go....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I'm slowly eliminating the problem source.....so once I've figured it out, I'll post it here in case anyone else has the same issue....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again.....

Old 12-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: fastblaster00
02 raptors had a starter problem i blealeave. i dont remember exactly what it was but the guy who i got mine from said it had the started swapped out so it wont have the problem any more.
I'm figuring if I replace the Starter Motor...and it isn't the problem, the worse that can happen is that I got a new Starter!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'll keep updates on here of the troubleshooting progress.....thanks again, fastblaster..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

i honestly dont remember what the recal was. call up your yamaha dealer and ask them

Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: fastblaster00
i honestly dont remember what the recal was. call up your yamaha dealer and ask them
The only recall I remember receiving was for the rear Brake Fluid Reservoir. The recall stated that at high speeds, the vibration caused air to get into the brake lines, causing possible failure....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

...other than that, like I stated earlier...I'll drop the money on all possible parts related to the starting system.....It's a mission.....and its becoming personal....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

It's weird the relay made that clicking noise. Usually that is a sign of a dead battery. If not the battery, then the relay. I experienced both problems with similar symptoms. I would venture a guess to say it could be your starter button switch on the handlebars. I had to replace this on my 02. But it's expensive. I would double check your wiring harness and connections if you know it's not the battery or the relay. Take a test light and make sure all your hot wires are indeed getting juice.

Also, check the fuses in the relay.

Quick Reply: Bad Starter on Raptor 660???