Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bad Starter on Raptor 660???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Starter on Raptor 660???

Originally posted by: RayneSavage
Still waiting on the Starter to show up.....probably behind because of the X-mas rush....

..but I got to thinking. The quad ran fine after I put the new battery in. It seemed to get harder and harder to start after I shut it off and started it over and over again. This would be due to the Stator (generator) not charging the battery after each start, so its solely relying on the battery's power.

The battery power is depleted, no start.

Makes sense to me......agree????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
yes. hook it up to ur battery charger and take it from there. start it. do u have a meter u can read volts with? see how many volts the bike has. befor startup and when its running. ill do the same with mine when i get home from work if ya want.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

[i]Originally posted by: fastblaster00

yes. hook it up to ur battery charger and take it from there. start it. do u have a meter u can read volts with? see how many volts the bike has. befor startup and when its running. ill do the same with mine when i get home from work if ya want.
Will do. The new Starter just arrived, so I'll be wrenching on the beast for the night. I'm also going to borrow a neighbors Meter and take different readings and see what I can come up with.

...Racing season starts again in 3 weeks, so I guess I'd better light a fire under my azz......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'll continue with the updates....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
I have a similar problem myself.....just have'nt had time to run the problem down. New higher amp Grizzly battery and new starter and the slow cranking still exists. Have double checked all wiring and made sure everything is secure. As done earlier, the relay has been replaced as well. When the starter is engaged the engine will "try" to crank over but something just won't let it. I try this for several tries and then try engine will all of a sudden start cranking and eventually start. These problems even started well before installation of a new L and A 1 way. Good luck guys.
check ur wires. could have high resistance in the power or ground. check battery volts. then check the battery volts at starter when u crank it. it shouldnt drop more than .5 (and thats on the high side anything over .3 is alot to me) then check after on the neg side of the started and see if theres voltage there. if u got more than like .3 volts id say theres part of the problem

Old 12-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Last update.....PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

It turned out to be the Starter Clutch/One-Way Bearing!!! Replaced it, and now its starting and running like the beast that it is....

I want to thank everyone again for the help and tips, and I hope someone else experiencing the same problem can see this and learn from it.....and save about a weeks time!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]