Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 RAPTOR WILL NOT START PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 RAPTOR WILL NOT START PLEASE HELP!!!

HEY EVERYONE, I RIDE A 2001 YAMAHA RAPTOR, I RECENTLY DID OSME SERIOUS ENGINE WORK TO IT. I PUT A 11:1 WISECO RACE PISTON OVERSIZED TO GIVE ME 686CC, RODE IT FOR A BIT AND BLEW UP MY CLUTCH BASKET SO THEN WHILE HAVEING THE ENGINE OPENED I PUT A STAGE ONE WEBCAM IN, BLACKDIAMOND VALVES, NEW STARTER CLUTCH ASSEMBLY, NEW CLUTCH AND ASSEMBLY. WHEN I RECIEVED MY ENGINE BACK I PUT IT BACK IN, IT WOLDNT TURN OVER WITH THE STARTER. SO I THOUGHT I HAD A BAD BATTERY, SO I PUT A NEW BATTERY IN AND NO LUCK, I FINALLY GOT AGRIVATED ENOUGH WITH IT AND POPPED STARTED IT. RODE IT FOR A LITTLE BIT AND THEN IT SAT FOR A COUPLE MONTHS. I GO TO START IT AND NO LUCK AGAIN WITH THE STARTED, SO I BOUGHT A NEW STARTED, BATTERY AND STARTER RELAY SWITCH AND REWIRED THE BATTERY AND STARTER CABLES. I HAVE A NICE BRIGHT CONSTANT SPARK. EVEN WITH SPRAYING ETHER DIRECTLY INTO THE BLOCK THROUGH THE INTAKE IT WONT BACK FIRE OR EVEN GASP. HAS ANYONE HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS, OR CAN THINK OF WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY MACHINE. I NEED TO GET HER RUNNING FOR THE WINTER

now with the new starter and such, it will sturn over once, and then not again, the starter almost "struggles"

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS???

PLEASE HELP, ITBREAKS MY HEART TO C IT SIT IN MY GARAGE

Old 12-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

It sounds like we're in the same boat. You said you already tried a new Starter Motor, so I might be wasting my time putting in the new one I just ordered.

The next step for me will be the Stator and One-way bearing......it WILL be solved, I just gotta take the time to think it out...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

BTW...does your Raptor run like chit in reverse???? Just curious....mine does since the starting problem was first noticed....BEFORE it took a major dump....

I might try the CDI box.....electrical is a finicky beast....it always seems to direct the problem as far away from the source as possible...LOL

Old 12-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i had no real signs of any problems and the thing always ran like a champ, it stock always would win against other stock raptors. i was in the woods and my clutch blew up so a piece of the clucthc basket got wedged into some gears making it impossiblet o start or pop staart. had my engine broken down and and rebuilt w some high performance parts. since then i have yet to be able to get it going except the one time i popped started the engnie. I recently tlked to the guy that builds all my engines and said even though i have a nice crisp spark when the sprak plug is outta the block, when its under compression it may not be sparking correctly making it not to even back fire, this would be a problem with my cdi. its not my coil or stator because i have a excellent spark, it cant be my relay starter because they are brand new, its not the wiring of the battery or starter. With the money i have put in this quad i could of bought a brand new one, when the thing runs its incredible, but when its dead its dead!!!

Old 12-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

As I just posted in my original thread....I just pulled the Battery out to check the CDI box. I found about 3 wires that had been rubbed through after probably getting pinched by the Battery when I put it in....

....just for fun, check the wiring under the CDI.....would be kinda crazy if the same thing happened to you....I can't say just yet if this is the problem, but its clear that something isn't right with the wiring....LOL......good luck!!!!

Old 12-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

YEAH ,i checked all of that when i put my quad back together, i had it stripped to the frame and everythign powder coated and what not. so yeah th wiring is good )-: i wish that was the case tho thatd be a easy fix

Old 12-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Any one have any ideas?

Old 12-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

A couple things could be going on. Could be that your timing is off. The automatic timing chain adjuster backs up the timing 1 tooth when installed.....if the mechanic is not paying attention this can easily go overlooked upon assembly. Another thing 01 Raptors were notorious for was backfiring and disengageing the carbs from the intake boots.....even the slightest opening will cause the engine to not run. I would check this first.
Gary

Old 12-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have even heard that with the piston you put in the starter motor isn't strong enough to turn it over especially with the cams....i am unaware of the fix for this but if i learn anything i'll post it

Old 12-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

could it be the one way?? raptors are bad about oneways going out, high compression pistons will eat them up. cams 2!! to much compression to turn over. pm austin oneal or driverdoyle , both had drag raptors and have delt with this problem.