Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just got my Grizzly 700 SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my Grizzly 700 SE

I just picked it up from the dealer yeaterday, but only had time to bring it home before I went to work. So at 10pm, I decided to take it ditch riding. WOW! I already love this thing even though I can't drive it past half throttle yet. It felt more ballanced on side slopes than I thought it would be. I rode till 1am and called it quits. I also bought a Warn Winch with it but didn't have the dealer install it. I was reading the instructions and I am having trouble finding a space big enough to mount the Contact(electrical device for disconnecting power to the winch when the ATV is turned off). anyone else know where the best place to mount it is?
If it turns out to be too much of a hassel, I'll just have the dealer install it.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

If you are going to install the winch yourself allow at least 4 hours of time and at least one 12 pack of beer. It isn't as easy as it looks.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I mounted mine in the storage box under the seat. Drilled 4 holes in it and bolted it down. I'd take my time and do it right cause some kid at the dealer will surley screw it up! If you want something done right dont bring it to the dealer. I wouldn't be afarid of taking it past half throttle. It needs to be wound out to seat the rings. Just dont go on a five mile ride at full throttle.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:56 PM
DS2
Range Rover

I mounted mine in the rear compartment under the seat. If you got yours as part of the "Yami special offer", don't be surprised if your battery cables (black and red) aren't long enough. I had to go to the automotive store and have some new ones cut to length as the Warn supplied ones were too short. To turn my winch off is to just turn the key. With the package comes a little blue splicer (looks like a clip). That's what you use when crimping the wires together. I think it's the pink wire in the ignition "harness" if I remember correctly....but test it first. It took about 5.5 hours including the trip to the auto store (15 minutes) and believing the cables they supplied with the kit were too short (1 hour) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. Yamaha said it's because the battery is located in a different place from the 660, which is what the kit was supposedly built.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

I thought about the compartment under the seat, but also thought the cables looked a little short. So what length cables did you go with to reach the seat storage area? also did you run the cables dirrectly under the seat or under the actual body?

Old 12-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

You should have recieved two boxes one containing the warn winch the other has a bracket,some bolts,and two short cables blue and yellow.the contact switch mounts to the back of this bracket the bracket bolts to the frame and the winch bolts to the bracket.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

the two short cables blue and yellow connect the switch to the winch the long red and black cables go from the contact switch to the battery careful routing this you will have to tie them to the frame away from the exhaust.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

P.S. AWESOME MACHINE HEY

Old 12-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2007 Grizzly 450 and got my warn winch installed by the dealer and they put four holes under the seat in the trunk and bolted the contacting in there and put a hole for all the wires to go out the side and then seal the space where the wires came out to make it not leak water into the trunk. It does take up a lot of room in the trunk. The dealer that installed it did a great job and did it very neatly with the wires to make it take up the least amount of space and to keep the main contacter in a dry place.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Don't know for sure if there is enough room on the 700, but my friends and I mount the solenoid under the plastic under the front rack. There is a compartment there with electrical wires already stored there. It is a good place and keeps the connections dry. I also used the red and black wires to go from the solenoid to the winch, and the blue and yellow to run along the frame back to my battery. This seems to work the best for us...

Quick Reply: Just got my Grizzly 700 SE