Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

good tires for snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good tires for snow?

I took my grizzly 700 out into the snow today. It'll go through close to a foot of snow with the stock tires, but I almost got stuck in a few spots. I would like a tire that can pull my grizzly through snow a little better but is also good for summer use in all terrain and mud.
Some I've looked at are Swamplites, Mudlite XTR, ITP 589, bear claws, mudbugs, & executioners.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Anything that says "Snow and ice" on it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have some 25" Swampfoxes on my 250. They seem to rip nicely through mud and I'm actually gonna try putting them on my 400ex today LOL

Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is an article that I read yesterday in either ATV Rider or another ATV mag that I can't recall at the moment -- that goes over studding your own ATV tires for snow and it seems quite simple. They basically screwed in 2 screws into each nub on the tire.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the studded tires work great for ice, i made a pair of my own with stock warrior tires and sheetmetal screws. i would think mud tires like 589's or comparable would work good in deep snow. just hop on your grabbar with both feet!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

How to stud your ATV tires from quadmagazine.com

Studding Your ATV Tires

Studding tires can seem like a daunting task, considering it involves drilling into perfectly good tires. Tire studs are available in a few lengths, but of the different lengths there are types that can penetrate the interior of the tire or lengths that stay lodged in the tire lug. There are plusses and minuses for each length.

The shorter studs are drilled only flesh deep into the tires lugs and can be removed come springtime so the tires can be used again in dirt conditions. This is a nice feature, but these shorter studs can easily come loose from the tire lugs and be ejected from the tire. An ejected tire stud acts like a fierce projectile that can hit following riders.

Longer tire studs go through the entire treadwall of the tire and cannot be removed because the tire will deflate. The advantage to these tire studs is that they will not get dislodged from the tire to cause injury. This means that another set of tires must be used when the snow thaws. A set of ATV tires that has tire studs in them will last for at least two seasons of consistent riding. We recommend these studs because they are safer.

How To Install Tire Studs:

Step 1: Make sure that the tire is clean and removed from the machine.

Step 2: Brace the tire so that it is secure and ready to be worked on.

Step 3: Pick any tire lug and put the first stud in using a nut driver. Start the stud slowly and easily to ensure that the stud goes in straight. As the stud goes in, check to make sure that it is not going in at an angle.

Step 4: Put two to three studs in each tire lug, depending on the size of the lugs. Larger lugs should get three studs and smaller lugs should get two. There is no set distance that the suds need to be apart, but do not crowd them, because they won't work as well.

Step 5: Follow steps 3 and 4 until the tire is completely studded.

Step 6: Remount the tires and take a ride. Be sure to check the studs periodically for tightness and damage.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

I know studs work on hard packed snow and ice, but they don't do much for soft deep snow

Old 01-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd recommend the swamplites. They hook up awesome in any conditions, and are lighter and ride smoother than the all-out mud tires. The mud-only tires like 589's and executioners might not even do very well in the snow, often they have the tendency to dig instead of hook up and go.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Range Rover

I've been recommended swamplites before and then asked a dealer about them and they said they just tear up everything and then conveniently said, "I can get you a good deal on mudlite XTRs that are way better." I had this feeling he was just trying to sell the new mudlites. I might go with the swamplites because many people on this forum have recommended them as good tires.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just put on a set of 26" Swamp Fox plus tries. I don't know how they will do in the snow yet, but on the trails and over the road they ride smooth and I was impressed with them in the mud also.

Quick Reply: good tires for snow?