ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Wolverine 450-EPI clutch kit (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/256939-wolverine-450-epi-clutch-kit.html)

ctateusa1 01-22-2007 12:02 PM

Wolverine 450-EPI clutch kit

Originally posted by: WinchedWolvy
Thanks for the info guys,i do like the quality of the gytr,maybe i will save some extra and get the gytr and k&n at the same time,just bought, two 4 wheelers and it crimped the checking account a bit.

Dont forget that you will need to do the jet kit at the same time if you do the K&N and GYTR pipe (or HMF) to get the best performance (plus it might run bad from being too lean if you dont rejet it.)

With the K&N I picked back up 1-2 mph on top and that is without rejetting yet.

When I replace the pipe I will install a Dynojet kit at the same time

WinchedWolvy 01-22-2007 01:21 PM

Then you should come down here and ride at st joe with us,steve

ctateusa1 01-22-2007 01:43 PM

I would love to I am thinking about coming up that way for the supercross that is coming up, If I do I might bring the quads and (the Wife if shes lucky) lol. Then make a side trip down to St. Joe on the way back.

WinchedWolvy 01-22-2007 01:48 PM

Now your talking,we have a secure place to lock them up here when were at the races too if you need,im going to look at a blaster tonight for my other half,im dying to get her to go riding with me,just dont want to spend another $6000 to do it,i found a 04 blaster for $1700 in sweet shape.

ctateusa1 01-22-2007 05:59 PM

Sounds like a plan, I like the blaster but aren't they 2-stroke?
I just hate to have to mix the oil+gas(carrying two jugs sucks)

WinchedWolvy 01-22-2007 11:19 PM

it is 2 stroke but i needed a cheap bike so my better half can ride with me,of course she will ride the wolvy since its an auto

ctateusa1 01-23-2007 10:50 AM

I dont blame you there, I have my old 250 and it will keep up with the wolvy to an extent, top end is faster than the wolvy, but low end the 450 will kill it.

I have had 2 stroke bikes before and just hate having to have an extra jug for gas and always mixing the oil, part of the reason I hate boats (even though I own one).

I also like the reliability of the 4 stroke over the 2 stroke (not trying to start a fight with anyone, just my opinion)(mainly because of past experiences with people not using the right mixture in them).

I would like to ride a blaster though, Ive never been on one.

u1arunit 01-23-2007 11:43 AM

I installed my EPI kit this past sunday.

I didn't use a press for the secondary spring but instead made a 'special setup' to press it. It involved a piece of all thread and some parts laying around the garage. Took me 45 minutes to get all the stuff prepared and only 5 minutes to switch it over. That 1 13/16" nut is way bigger than any wrench or socket that I had and I needed to improvise a bit with a crescent wrench.

Those little springs sure were a real bastard though.

The low end boost is really noticable. It was snowing hella bad so I didn't get the time or place to safely test top speed. LOL

WinchedWolvy 01-23-2007 03:33 PM

I hated those damn springs,i walked away 2 times to take a break after pinching my fingers

ctateusa1 01-29-2007 10:51 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just wanted to reinterate the fact that when you install the clutch kit to make sure and clean the gasket area very well on the inner primary clutch or else you will end up in about 15-20 miles having to pull the whole thing back apart to do it again.

I lost about a 1/2 qt of oil and noticed the top speed was about gone(down to about 33 mph), and I was slipping under hard acceleration.

So tonight and tomorrow I will have to do this all over again