Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Engine Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Engine Warning Light

Ok, I haven't started my raptor 700 in probably two weeks. i went into the garage and it started right up, drove it down to the barn to get my goggles, its about 20 degrees out so I left it running to let it warm up. After finding my goggles after maybe three minutes I go back to the bike and it is running fine but the engine warning light is on. i turned the bike off and checked the oil, which was fine, I then checked my airbox, again fine, then I disconnected and then reconnected the battery because I thought that might reset the computer, but still the light comes on. I have no idea what is causing this because the bike seems to run fine otherwise. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to have to take it to my yamaha dealer and have them plug it into their computer, but any other options would be great.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Im thinking a short maybe. Anyway it got wet? Maybe ur e-brake?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

The only electrical problem I can think of is the neutral light. Right above the front sprocket the reverse and neutral lights connect, and some how the neutral wire got pulled off the connector, but that was several months ago. I just keep putting the connector back on. I need to use some silicone to glue it back on or something. I'm sure that connector has gotten wet before, but I don't know much about electrical.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most EFI systems have a limp home mode. The Raptor also has this. So if your EFI computer found a big enough problem, it would go into this mode so you wouldn't be stuck out in the middle of the woods. An example would be if the engine stoped getting a coolant tempeature sensor reading, or throttle position reading. If a sensor goes out the ECU switches that section or all of the program into open loop mode. The Raptor will flash its check engine light if its in a mode that doesn't support limp mode. It also won't allow it to start. If the check engine light stays on (like yours) it's in limp mode and will start using hard coded values.

I don't know if there is a way to make the raptor send trouble codes via the check engine light like in cars. You could search all over for a problem but the trouble code scanner would be the fastest way to find out. Maybe you can get the dealer to hook the scanner up with the quad sitting in the back of your truck.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

My raptor was giving me an engine code, 46, and I fixed the problem. But now my check engine light stays on. What can that be? If anyone knows, can u please help me?