Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

atv Bridge help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007 | 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv Bridge help

do you have any access to the other side at another point? Maybe you can try winching some logs across the river? Might be dangerous depending on how heavy the logs are compared to the weight of your quad. It could be hard to keep the logs up above the bank of the river.

I have helped a friend of mine do this before, about 20ft but I was able to stand below and we more or less pulled the logs to the other end. Once we got enough logs across the stream ( the edge had about a 3ft straight drop so not like we could just ride through it ) we nailed some old board to the logs, then hammered 4 small round logs on each corner of the 'bridge' to hold it from moving left or right...looked funny but it worked.

Old 01-20-2007 | 05:00 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default atv Bridge help

thanks for all the input everyone. I do have access to the other side. I just bought a grizz700 and i don't have much money to spend right now so im really looking for the cheapest way to build it.I also have no experiance in building a bridge so im also looking for something semi easy to assemble. I don't care what it looks like i just want it to be safe.

Thanks Again!

Old 01-20-2007 | 07:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default atv Bridge help

Originally posted by: ctateusa1
You could do like they do up north and get about 3 -4 big trees and chain them together so they float on the water or on both sides of the creek or whatever your trying to cross
where i ride at they cut down a BIG a$$ tree and layed it across and then got anothe one and put them side by side and put wood over the top

Old 01-20-2007 | 08:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default atv Bridge help

exactly what i said blaster..just w/ 500 more words..lol

Old 01-21-2007 | 02:15 AM
Range Rover
Default atv Bridge help

Originally posted by: xFreebirdx
Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Originally posted by: rdeeno
Go to a used truck/trailer yard and buy an wore out flatbed trailer. Drag it were you want it, remove and sale the axles, and you are set.
LOL.. thats the best one yet
Hell Yea. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2007 | 06:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default atv Bridge help

why not use just a BIG cheap culvert pipe and shove some dirt in there?

Old 01-23-2007 | 04:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default atv Bridge help

I've seen some done with old house trailer frames. Once they were stripped down to their bare frame rails they were dragged to the location and then fitted with planking.

The other way which I have personally done is with old telephone poles and old railroad ties. I've done two this way. I managed to get the materials for free too. The local utility company gave me the poles for free and I contacted someone from the railroad and managed to secure a bunch of old railroad ties. The only cost I had was for fasteners and coatings etc.

Be prepared for some heavy work though. It's a big job to build a bridge and do it right especially if you're doing it by yourself or another person. Also you want to make sure you site it correctly and I'm sure you're putting this on your land or land you have permission to be using correct?

Old 01-23-2007 | 07:23 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default atv Bridge help

correct. I am putting the bridge in my back yard.

Old 01-26-2007 | 05:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default atv Bridge help

Originally posted by: mwest5281
correct. I am putting the bridge in my back yard.
Cool. If I had 22 ft span in my backyard I'd be looking for telephone poles and railroad ties. Should make a nice bridge. Strong one too.

Old 01-26-2007 | 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv Bridge help

Got any pine trees out there? They make pretty good logs for building an ATV bridge.

Quick Reply: atv Bridge help