Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Bogging HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before installing my Big Gun exhaust I wanted to power wash it and the engine and exhaust area very good. So I took it to the car wash and cleaned it. Man! I started riding it back home and when i went past 1/4 throttle it would BOG then backfire(from the buildup of gas I assume).I believe it could be two things. #1 I might have hit one of the adjusting screws with the water stream causing it to turn? - what are the stock adjustments/which screws(description where it's at) please? # 2 What all should I check for water? Would the carbs allow water through them into the head? or will they retain the water in the bowls? I just had an oil change. Should I get another one? There was a slight amount of either water and Filter oil or just filter oil in the Air Box. Dude this sucks HELP!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2000, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

Eric you probably just got some water in the airbox/carbs crack open the bowels on the bottom of the carbs and let some gas run out. If this doesnt help check all your lines coming off of your carb/spark plug for any kinks or looseness or make sure there not clogged it sounds to me like just some moisture in the quad I would drain the gas out of the carbs and check the spark plug then I think you'll be fine. One note when pressure washing do not use high pressure up close the water gets in everything, I found that if you go to a Dollar store and get some MeanGreen cleaner all you have to do is soak your whole quad in mean green it wont hurt any type of finish let it sit for about 1-3minutes and hose off and your quad will be dirt/grease etc free you dont even need high pressure a garden hose works fine if you use the car wash just dont spray up close where all the pressure is. After you wash it spray WD-40 all over it everywhere, then use armorall tire foam and spray it all over everything this will get all your cables/cracks and crevases with dirt in them looking like new and all this makes the quad easy to clean. I am telling you try Mean Green you can get it at a dollar store it has 2 eyes on the bottle and its white orange and green or blue I believe the bottle that is. So drain the carbs and check your plug for moisture and once done try and start in again and also look down the boot infront of your filter for moisture and clean it out. Let us know what you come up with check all those fuell/ignition lines for good connections and make sure there not clogged.

Old 12-15-2000, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks xtreme. That's a relief. I usually do use a garden hose the thing is I have a well and it's still probaly frozen and I don't wanna burn up the pump.

Old 12-15-2000, 11:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Eric, it would'nt be the adjusting screws (they are underneath the carbs and snug to turn). You have probably had some water make it's way into the air box (and it is sucking into the engine...do you have your snorkle removed). Clean the filter and let it dry. Check all intake boots for no leaks. You may wanna fix the problem before strapping the exhaust on.

Old 12-15-2000, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

What's that big screw(brass-like color) on the left side(sitting on atv) coming from that Triangle looking thing with rounded edges? Would the water make it all the way to the head? What about the crankcase?

Old 12-15-2000, 11:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Eric, I belive you are describing the IDLE ADJUSTMENT screw. It just sets the IDLE RPM. That would'nt be the BOG problem. Have you got a chance to check out the air box and the intake boots?

Old 12-15-2000, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer

check your parking break it will do the same things you mention if it is not fully realesed

Old 12-15-2000, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

I'm betting on a wet air filter.

Old 12-15-2000, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Eric that is your idle, I wouldnt worry you just got some water/moisture in the carbs/airbox dont worry about the head and crank unless you ever submerge your quad under water where it sucks in water just clean and dry everything and you'll be allright dont forget to check your plug for moisture and eventually I would take that parking brake off so nothing happens like the other post said check your brake but I bet its just some moisture in your bike.

Old 12-15-2000, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

I seriously doubt the problem you are having is related to the carbs or the airbox. From my experience with those pesky microswitches in the clutch perch with my Warrior, i would have to say you got water in the emergency break switch. When it bogs down, the ignition is obviously cutting out which is indicated by the backfire you here(ignition cutting back in, excess fuel in the carb=backfire). I will bet my machine when you pull the clutch in the quad runs fine, and the problem goes away. The simple solution is to take some WD40 and spray both the emergency park brake as well as the clutch switch. I have had this problem with my Warrior so many times, i knew it would only be a matter of time until the Raptors showed the exact same symptoms. Let me know if this solves your problem. Hope my two cents helps

Quick Reply: Raptor Bogging HELP!!!