Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine: Rear diff vent hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine: Rear diff vent hose

I had read about this happening and it finally happened to me over the weekend. After the last few rides, I had a very small bit of oil on my case...I could not figure out where it was coming from. I went riding Saturday and temps in the morning were in the 20s. I had also towed the quad about an hour from home, so that gave it plenty of time to "cool down" after sitting in the garage.

About 10 minutes into the ride, the quad had an odd smell to it and a bit of smoke was coming from the engine area. Turns out, the diff fluid was coming out of the overflow tube and dripping onto the engine and at times, onto the exhaust. The dripping stopped further along into the ride.

How have you guys dealt with this? I thought about rerouting the house or maybe buying a longer hose and routing it elsewhere so if this does happen agian, it doesn't end up on the engine.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

I remember a certain member of this site (I believe it was Hondabuster) saying there is a bellows you can attach to the end of the hose to prevent this from happening. I believe (again, going on memory) they came stock on certain Suzuki quads and will work fine on ours. They expand to capture the fluid coming from the hose, and then allow the fluid to return to the diff later. It completely eliminates the mess. There may be other solutions, but that is the one I liked when I originally read his post about it (sometime ago)...

Old 02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

That's certainly something to look into. I've heard the Can-Am machines have a similar set up. Time to hit the parts fiche sites!

Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are talking about what I think you are, Honda cars have them on the washer fluid lines , check about the 93 honda accord, I think it is about 2.50 for the part.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Cool. You would happen to have a picture or a link, would you?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

I will update a pic of the part and a part number for you

Part # is 76875-sm1-004 available from your local honda auto dealer
price should be about 5.20 I have one in stock here.

click on the camera under my name to see a pic of it.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Cool, let me know when you have a pic up.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Got my pic updated GlennJ
it is the last pic in the set.
Let me know if this is something that works for you I might take it home and try it on my 450 and see if it will fit or not, if it is the same size as the hose I will put in an inline washerfluid connector to join the two. Honda has them available for like 1.50 as well.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

That looks like it may do the trick. I'll just have to see if the hoses are compatable. Like you mentioned, it may take an adapter to get it to work correctly. Thanks for posting the pic!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Good idea, and alot cheaper than the suzuki and bomb parts. The last time i bought a suzi bellows it was 14 bucks, but they do have alot more space and volume, for expanding air and grease. Try to mount it so the open end faces down, so whatever grease makes it to the bellows, can drain back.

Quick Reply: Wolverine: Rear diff vent hose