Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with buying mini quad.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2000, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at buying a mini quad for my nephew and I was read about all of them. Has anyone bought one and what is a good one. He is only 10 and they say that the 90cc is for 12 and up but I think he will out grow a 50cc to fast. Alot of them are companys that I have never heard of should I shy away from those? Thanks

Old 12-18-2000, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Depending on his body size, The Suzuki LT80 is a great little quad,fast and easy to modify. Honda's 90 is bigger, with better suspension for the bigger kids. I know the cc recomendations say he isn't old enough, which I think needs to be changed, but few 10 year olds will fit a 50-70 cc quad, let alone be happy with it. My son rode an LT80 at 4 1/2, and at 10, he went to a 250 Honda Recon. His skill and control are top notch, the LT was too small, his knees came up to the top of the gas tank. Ok, lawmakers, what's more dangerous, a kid who rides responsibly on a quad that fits him and his skill level, or a cramped little tryke that limits his movements and has poor suspension for sport and trail riding? Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now, but it always burns me when I see all the restrictions put on kids just because some a--holes crash and burn and blame the ride instead of the rider.
Just keep your nephew's size and abilities in mind, and for now I'd stick with a major brand, better resale, and most of all -- HAVE FUN !!!!

Old 12-18-2000, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

These mini-quads pack a big punch, beats all name brands hands down!
http://www.alphasportsmotors.com/Searchable/ATVs.htm

Old 12-18-2000, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Go with a 80cc machine or bigger. I would suggest a used Breeze (Yamaha) if you can find one at an reasonable price.

The age rules for buying a quad are to conservative & crazy. They are based on age & not skill? Go figure.

My kid had never ridden a quad until this past April. He is 11 & short for his age. This spring he will move up to our Recon, not because of his size but his skills.

One good thing about kid quads are they hold their value & are easy to sell. When it comes time to move up you won't have a problem selling it.

Old 12-18-2000, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought my son a LT-80 in October and he is 4 1/2 yrs old. I let him sit on and feel the controls on all kinds of models and found that the LT-80 has great ergonomics and being a 80cc it will last him a long time, plus there are so many things you can do to hop them up. You probably wouldnt want these but the LT-80 comes with 2 governors which limit power, one in the exhaust and one in the carb. So with those my son can really get the feel of the power and with more experience I will take one out at a time. Just my 2 cents but you are looking for a 10 yr old. Hope this helps!
later

Old 12-18-2000, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I think that a 90cc machine is about right if you buy it new don't tell dealer it is for a10 year old,but you will save money buying it used .
My 8 year old daughter{little tall for her age} has been riding a 90cc 4-trax{great machine} for about 1 1/2 years,rides trails& races in a powder puff class & does pretty good.Took a few"lesson sessions" to make her understand all the controls & shifting etc. She has never had any accidents& wants to continue to race in future.

Old 12-18-2000, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

I think the suzuki lt80 is the best mini quad. I had one for three years from age 12-15 it was a little small but a blast to ride.

Old 12-19-2000, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

I bought 2 of the trx90s for my boys, (9 & 11 ). I love them and there are quite a few mods you can get for them. I put wider tires on the back with douglas center line rims, this added about 2 inches to the with and is much more stable. My 9 year old can handle it with ease, He can do doughnuts on a dime without flipping it. I've also added works shocks all the way around, Renthal bars, Pro Design kill switch, Supertrap pipe, Jetted carb, Heavy duty clutch springs and a modified air box. This thing rocks. I am looking into engine mods now.

Old 12-19-2000, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Theputsman, does supertrap have a muffler for 90 4-trax or do you have to buy whole exhaust system? Also do of any co. making nerf bars for it? any input appreciated Thanx.

Old 12-19-2000, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

I bought The whole exhast system. I don't think you can just get the muffler because the header pipe is a larger diameter. 1 inch compaired to the stock 3/4 inch. I got the system from Powroll. Give them a call 541-923-1290. I have not found any where to get nurfs but I did get a complete under body skid, Swing arm skid, and front bumper from PRM. search for there web site I don't have the link handy. Where can I find out where to race my sons 90.

Theputsman

Quick Reply: Help with buying mini quad.