Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATVs or Dirtbikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2000, 10:50 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of you have ridden both dirtbikes and ATVs (specifically the Raptor) and I was curious which you enjoy more. Do you think more people 'convert' from dirtbikes to ATVs or vice-versa? I'm selling my R1 (wife pregrant, so no more 'street' toys) and was wondering if the extra money should go towards a CR250 (or other brand?), or use it for Raptor upgrades or whatever???

Just a brain fart...
Thanks

Old 12-18-2000, 11:02 AM
Range Rover

Get both - if finances are a problem, buy used. The bike (like a CR250) will be faster on any trail with a skilled rider. I myself have a CR250 and a 4WD utility ATV - that covers all the bases from my perspective.

Old 12-18-2000, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm. Loaded question.

I grew up on dirt bikes, but bought ATVs instead. The bikes are easier on the pocket book and I will probably break down and buy a used one. I selected ATVs because Oregon is WET and I never did like falling on my *** in mud. Wet is a work out and Dune riding didn't impress me too much. Now ATVs in mud or sand are great! The deaper the mud the better.

Old 12-18-2000, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

They are both great fun, personally I like the atv's cuz you can pretty much go anywhere haulin a$$ which is pretty fun, and donuts are great fun, dirtbikes you gotta be somewhat careful watch for sticks and stuff, also horrible in the mud, but... uh.. nevermind, buy both!

Old 12-19-2000, 12:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ive got a CR250, I love it, I have had a couple 3 and 4 wheelers, they are fun, but I am having allot of fun on my cr. wheelers are great for slippery conditions or relaxing riding, I can do as much a wheeler can, not including mud and what not of course, but I would also like a quad for when its wet and in the snow!
Where you live it is probably more dry than wet isnt it? I too think you should get both, buy both used and you should have enough!

Old 12-19-2000, 04:01 AM
Trailblazer

I dig both. i personally made the conversion from bikes to quads mainly for a more seasonal usage.
im gett'n to old for "bikes on ice". But, i still love MX'rs. so i say "have the best of both worlds." My bikes now track duty only, and the 660
fits the thrill bill for everything else. the only negative is that after riding the YZ, my Raptor feels "SLOW"
later..

Old 12-19-2000, 10:23 AM
Range Rover

bartolo,
i love both of em. i had a kawi mojave but right
now have an xr400. i ride with friends that have
450es's. we ride on the usually southeastern type
of terrains;tight trails,monster hills,rocky monster hills,sand and mud. the 4x4's easily
trudges up this stuff but i really have to work
harder on my xr but that's why i like them!

xr400
e-series w/b
k&n filter
48 tooth rear

Old 12-19-2000, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

I hear ya Bartolo! I had an R1 and have an R6 (race only) and my wife wants me around town more so the R6 is going up for sale soon. I wondered the same thing about atv's vs dirtbike's. I decided to go with the Raptor because it is a Yamaha, looks like fun, beautiful machine like the R1 and if i decided I do not like it, resale on these things are great. I am also hoping to get my wife involved and i think I have a better (slim though) with the ATV than a dirt bike. Also, more of the local guys have ATV's.
Noticed your address, my brother lives in Denton.
Did you ever get on the R1 Forum?
Jedi

Old 12-19-2000, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of holding off until the new Honda 4 stroke MXer comes out sometime next year. The displacement is still 'Top Secret'. If any of you have any info on that bike, I'd like to know the link.

Also, JEDI, what's your brother's name. Never know, sometimes it's a small world.

Old 12-19-2000, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hey bartolo,
If your looking for the same kind of thrill....Don't! There is no off road vehicle that has ever been made that will provide you with the same amount of high speed thrill and acceleratioin as that R1 will! I know, because I ride a Vmax. When it comes to eyeball flattening acceleration, There is no substitute! At the same time, I've had far more physical injuries as the result of atv riding then I have ever had as the result of street bike riding! But at the same time, I have alot more fun with my quad then I do with my street bike anymore. However I've been riding street bikes for 22 years, I've only been riding quads for about 3 years, alittle difference in whats "fun", and whats "same'ol same'ol. Bottom line is, don't let potential injuries stop you from enjoying your street bike. Its a crap shoot either way! I've learned to enjoy both worlds, but have to admit I have more fun with my Grizzly then I do riding my Vmax.

Rick

Quick Reply: ATVs or Dirtbikes