Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

FMF Banshee POWER-UP kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2000, 03:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, you gotta check out FMF's site. WWW.FMFRACING.com....go to what's new and read up on the cool new cylinder head. $2,000 to get in the ball game though.

Old 12-18-2000, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

I really like the idea of powervavles, however I would have thought for the increase in displacement it would have boosted the horsepower more than 55 rear wheel hp. The only reason I say that is alba 370 kit puts out 64 rear wheel hp and costs less i believe, and you don't have the added cost of the new carburators that are a must for the fmf power up kit. Also what did that dyno compare? was the lowest hp stock? and the highest hp the power-up kit only? or did they have some type of fmf exhaust, reed spacers and every other option to increase hp?

Old 12-19-2000, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

I don't really put much stock into the advertisement dyno graphs that these guys run. I would have to say that that FMF kit is going to be making some serious ponies, but I wouldn't lay down cash for the first ones out. Wait until some shops do some tests of it first. I can't see how FMF would try to market a 2000 dollar kit that doesn't outperform what is commonly and inexpensively available right now. I say it is going to RIP. As a side note, they will be making a kit for the 250R motor a little after the new year. Can you say new ball game?

Old 12-19-2000, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer

Man why does this always happen to me! I just spoke with Alba this evening and the 400 kit from them is $2199 BUT you still have to purchase the 35MM carbs too. LT500 is right Rob at Alba says it will put out 64 HP but it is mostly on top. Bottom and mid still suffer. I think I had better call FMF in the AM and see what the real scoop is before I call Alba and back out = ) Anyone know a good place to get the Kehien carbs? Thanks for the post!

Old 12-20-2000, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

streak i would try YSA {yamaha suzuki of Arizona}in dirtwheels i personaly order my things from them. They have great prices most of the time very helpful and u can usually have what you want in a weeks time.

Old 12-20-2000, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Isn't the purpose of the power valves to gain lowend power and acceleration, not peak power, making the 2-stroke more like a 4-stroke, for less shifting on a track?

Old 12-21-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Scooby, it depends on your perspective. The power valve allows you to have variable port timing. This means that it can adjust so that it gets the maximum out of both configurations. Without a powervalve, you can do 1 of 2 things. You can leave it stock and not have the top end of a ported motor, or you can port it and lose on bottom end.

With a powervalve, the port timing can be optimal for low end and then change the timing as the RPMs increase so that it runs like a ported motor.

So, as I said, the advantages of a powervalve really depends on which end you are starting from. Coming from a stock port configuration, it can give you bettet top end without losing bottom, or going from a ported motor, it can allow you to build better low speed power while producing similar power to a ported motor.

Does this make any sense? I sometimes have a hard time putting these things into type.

Old 12-21-2000, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Pretty close, Scooby, but not quite like a 4-banger. The power-valve should allow for a very broad powercurve. It is like having a tork/bottem end pipe, mid-range pipe, and a rev pipe all rolled into one. The engine designer/tuner can use much more aggressive porting and timing to gain max power throughout the RPM range. That is how the moto-x bikes run so hard. I can't see spending that much money if it doesn't deliver better than that. Interestingly enough, GT Thunder's dyno curves of the modded 250r motors verses the 330R motors look pretty close. It looks like the 330R is a waste of money, but in real life, this just isn't true. I would have to say that if FMF is going to put their name on it, it will probably deliver.