Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

squeaky brakes on wolvy 07

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007 | 02:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default squeaky brakes on wolvy 07

This has been a complaint on kodiaks, for years too. Same caliper, same pads. Try some of the automotive products for stop squeek, its usually a silcone product, which goes between the pads and caliper . It stops the vibration, and the squeel.

Old 03-08-2007 | 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

I am sure it is the same problem that has plagued the Kodiak 450 for years. I also have a new Grizzly/Kodiak 450 and just changed the pads to the Tusk carbon pads. They cost $12.99. You can see them here: Tusk Carbon Brake Pads

I will be trying them out this Saturday and will let you all know if it stops the squeak.

Old 03-08-2007 | 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sledboy700
I am sure it is the same problem that has plagued the Kodiak 450 for years. I also have a new Grizzly/Kodiak 450 and just changed the pads to the Tusk carbon pads. They cost $12.99. You can see them here: Tusk Carbon Brake Pads

I will be trying them out this Saturday and will let you all know if it stops the squeak.
Cool, we are looking forward to the results.

Old 03-08-2007 | 06:52 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks,let us know on the pads.Usually when your brakes squeak on your car it's when you apply the brakes..
Which that silicone that goes between the pad and the caliper stop the chatter..Not sure that would help in
this case.Since it doesnt do it when they are being applied...Since everyone has had this problem from the wolvy to the kodiak.I'm
sure it has something to do with the material in the pads themself.. I could be wrong though...I guess we will know once sledboy changes them out..

Old 03-08-2007 | 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: jamlew33
Thanks,let us know on the pads...I guess we will know once sledboy changes them out..
I have already changed them out. Now I just need to ride it. That will be this Saturday.

Like you said, I really think it is the pad material. I can be going very slowly over a smooth surface and it will squeal like crazy. It just seems like the pads and rotor are squeaking as they rub against each other. This indicates to me that another material might help.

FYI - There was one other person on one of the forums that reported some success with EBC sintered pads. But I have not heard of any other reports and nothing long-term. I'll ride it this Saturday and then I have a longer trip planned in Moab later this month. It should be enough to conclude whether it will work or not.

Old 03-08-2007 | 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

I read that the carbon pads are for dry use only and were not recommened for mud sand and water. What do you think?

Old 03-09-2007 | 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

I do know that the carbon brake pads will not last as long as the sintered pads. However, with the exceptional engine braking system on this quad, I don't expect to be using the brakes very much. And the brakes are a piece of cake to change.

Most of my riding will indeed be in dry, dusty conditions with the occasional romp through a stream. Only time will tell how well they hold up. But for now, even if they last only half as long as the originals but stop the squealing, it will be worth it!

Old 03-09-2007 | 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

true

Old 03-11-2007 | 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

OK. We went riding for the afternoon on Saturday. I can't say conclusively that it has fixed the problem, but the outlook is very positive. The reason I can't say for sure is because it took just a little while before the stock brake started squeaking on mine. Our Saturday ride was several hours long and there was not any squealing at all. But, I don't think I have ridden the Griz long enough to say for sure that it solved the problem.

In two weeks, I am going on an extended ride at Moab and will be able to say for sure if the squeaks are gone! I will let you all know. But it looks good so far!

Old 03-11-2007 | 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Did you just put them in the rear or front and rear?

Quick Reply: squeaky brakes on wolvy 07