Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

help raptor 660 home built turbo wont rev

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help raptor 660 home built turbo wont rev

hi is their any boby on here who can help ,ive a raptor 660 ,that ive modded with a small garret t2 turbo ,electric fuel pump ,with rising rate fuel preassure regulator ,and one of those edelbrock pumper carb kits ,it starts straight up runs great till you hit the gas then all itl wont to do is splutter and miss then cut out ,if the throttle is closed quickly it will still run ,it will barley drive ,if i remove whats the boost pipe from the turbo to carb it runs good ,any ideas does the carb need modding ,or if any body knows how to modify the stock carbs for turbo use ,i have the kit running on blow through , any ideas thank you

Old 03-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider

Do you have a boost gauge on it? If so, does it show any boost before it starts to sputter?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like your running too much boost. What jet sizes are you using?

Old 03-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If your running a blowthrough set-up and don't have the carb mod'ed you will never get it running right.
What happens is the boost will pressurize the float bowl and no fuel or very little will get to the engine. There is a bout 10 other things that can go wrong with a blowthrough. This mod is extensive and I would have to write a book to talk about what needs to be done.
Sorry, it's just good to say no when it comes to blowthrough carbs. (Unless your injected) Carbs need to be sucked on, not pressurized.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
If your running a blowthrough set-up and don't have the carb mod'ed you will never get it running right.
What happens is the boost will pressurize the float bowl and no fuel or very little will get to the engine. There is a bout 10 other things that can go wrong with a blowthrough. This mod is extensive and I would have to write a book to talk about what needs to be done.
Sorry, it's just good to say no when it comes to blowthrough carbs. (Unless your injected) Carbs need to be sucked on, not pressurized.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
I agree, the carb just wont work without extensive modification.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi all thanks for the responce ,yes its got boost gauge fitted ,maby only reads a psi or 2 ,before it splutters
as for the guy who says itl never run right ,course it will with a bit more fetteling ,,their isnt much to the edelbrock carb it only has the big jet that the needle goes in ,and the mixture screrw ,so thier carnt be much to mod,the throttle has sealed bearing etc ,i know it will be some thing daft ,but i just dont get it ,,,
i know its gonna be an arm rippa once running right,i arnt botherd about fuel consumption ,as long as it rips

Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

what can i do to the float boal so that it likes the boost

Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

Is the turbo phyisically to big??

Old 03-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warpigs
Is the turbo phyisically to big??
Since it's building minimal boost, that would be my guess too.

Quick Reply: help raptor 660 home built turbo wont rev