help raptor 660 home built turbo wont rev

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help raptor 660 home built turbo wont rev

what can i do to the float boal so that it likes the boost
Like I said above, it would take a book on what to do to make a blow through system work. It's VERY complex.

That being said, the simplest thing to do is box the carb. If you build a box around a carb the pressure will be the same inside and out and you won't have boost pressure leaking from every vent and orfice in the carb. You will still have to deal with fuel control issues and even that can be a daunting task even for mid level boost pressures.

I don't want to rain on your parade but about every other month someone comes on here and says they are going to build a turbo this or turbo that. 90% of them we don't ever hear from again. They don't understand the complexities or costs of building a turbo system. Even the ones that get a good system going, most are repairing parts that broke. Be it a clutch that can't handle the extra torque or a bearing that can't handle the extra HP or whatever.

You have to do a lot of homework to build a system like this and make it work right. I guess only you can answer if you did or not. Your engine will tell you in a New York minute if you did not do your homework!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi ,the turbo that i am using is correct ,i am sure on that ,i seen one on another site mervins or melvins ,was the guy that had built it ,i used a turbo some as his ,my turbo is a garret t2 ,off a renault 5 gt turbo ,i carnt remember the a/r ratio , i am going to try again tomorrow ,ive blocked the carb over flow ,and connected the 2 breather pipes at either side of the carb up to the boost system ,they run into the top of the float boal ,so hope fully they should even the preasure in side the float boal ,,their isnt any other vacum leaks on the carb ,i did try blocking the carb boal breather pipes but it would just cut out ,so hope fully with the boost going to them itl still run ,
the box around the carb was going to be my last resort other than ,cutting the system up ,and changing it to braw through ,but i like the idea of having an inter cooler and b.o.v ,,also when ive been testing ive had the actuator fully wound out so its making the littelest amount of boost ,

Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

and how could the turbo be too big ,if it was it would just have ultimate lag ,it would maby just spool up as i hit limmiter ,is it possible to make fuel injection on the cheap

Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Range Rover

It's possible the turbin is just to big to for the exhaust pressure that the 660 is pushing, just a thought though. If it is too big then the motor is always fighting to keep the turbin spinning.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most blow-thru slide carbs I have worked with also have the area above the slide pressurized. You also didn't say anything about installing a power jet on the carb. Save yourself the trouble and spend some extra money on some EFI hardware and learn something that is more useful. I were you, I would pickup an EFI kit or put together a megasquirt system. The EFI setup can be cheaper than burning your motor down. Take it from people who HAVE made it work.. its like trying to PUSH a door that says PULL.

If I was going to build a turbo charged 660, I wouldn't even start until I had the following items in place:

-Dynatek programmable ignition, unless you plan to run low boost on 93 fuel.
-Programmable EFI with MAP/MAF and O2 sensor. Lots of work to install.. $250-$300 for the ECU, $100 or so for used sensors, injector(s), throttle body.

It might be overkill.. but that's what I would do.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi ive already got a dynatek ignition ,whats the power jet

Old 03-14-2007, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

You wanna put a turbo on a Rappy?
Feel free to copy mine.
It make 240 HP with NO lag at all!!
Rappy with turbo
Yea, I cheated, I changed the motor too!