Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1st post new kodiak owner with a few Q's for the pros

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post new kodiak owner with a few Q's for the pros

hello all,

I just made the leap and purchased a 2001 kodiak 400. It has a few issues that I wanted to get some advice on. If you would answer by number I would appreciate it.

1) the previous owner put on snorkles. I am not planning on deep water and will use it mostly for light riding and hunting. Question is on the stock Kodiak how deep of mud/water can they navigate withoug tranny belt (or other) problems. I am trying to decide if I want to remove the snorkles.

2) the oil plug looks to be stripped and is leaking. Should I retap or is ther a better fix?

3) the rear rubber boot has a rip and some mud got in the rip. It looks like it is connected to the drivetrain. How serious of a problem is this to replace the boot, it looks like you would have to disassemble the backend. I could seal the rip but there is some mud particulate in the oil, how much is unknown.

4) some of the crankcase bolts are snapped off on the tranny side. If anyone has found a good way to remove please advise. One seems to back out so it will need to br retapped.

5) I will need to get a mix of oem nuts/bolts/gaskets as well as some aftermarket parts. If you would pass along the best websites to shop for the Kodial I would appreciate it.

6) Is there a good place to swap parts?

7) One of the front rubber boots had its metal fastener come loose. Can you just use a regular clamp to hold it or will this cuase prmature boot rips/failure?

It does seem to run good but I want to give it a good once over and start off with a reliable machine.

Thanks in advance for the replies. I am looking forward to chatting with some of you in the future.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer

1) you can use this atv up to the side engine cases in deeper water mud. no need to keep snorkels for your type of riding stated.
2) the oil plug ..i would try to re-tap first.
3) the CV boot should be replaced before damage is done to the joint.yes itcan be difficult to do but not impossible..take your time.
4) try an easy-out or if that dont work try left hand drilling.
5) local dealer and local hardware store for bolts n such.
6) online forum communities ...there are many.
7) yes a regular clamp will work..

sounds like this atv has been rode pretty hard..might want to lift up the gas cap and drive a new atv in under it..LOL just kidding and good luck

Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

lol, yeah it is a project but wth it will keep me out of trouble at least until I get it back up and chugging.

bTW, thanks for the reply

Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

As far as the water issue, always keep an eye on the rubber intake to the front of the belt casing. On that model they were known to become disconnected and let water into the tranny case.
Buck