Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 Raptor question for the motorheads.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660 Raptor question for the motorheads.

Take off the stator case cover. Remove the flywheel. On the side of the case there is an arrow pointing towards the crank. On the timing chain gear that is pressed onto the crank, there is a dot. When the piston is at top dead center will this dot and this arrow line up? I ask this because the motor jumped time last ride and I'm trying to figure out if the gear spun on the crank shaft or if the chain slipped on the gear. The chain did not break. There are other motor part factors involved but I just need to know if the dot and arrow should line up. TIA.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

The dot on the gear should line up dead center with the woodruff key slot. If it is not that way then your gear spun on the crank. Also it looks like at tdc the dot is lined up with that arrow.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Looks like Bob has you covered. Good to see both of you guys around....preferably not under wshrdskin's circumstances.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks fellers, shoulda just called Bob in the first place. LOL. I haven't needed his services for some time now tho. The dot does line up in the center of the woodruf key and lines up with the arrow as well. What happened was the guide plate for one of the weights on the cam gear broke off and it appears to have fallen to the gear on the crank. It then lodged itself between the gear and chain and went around as the chain turned. I assume at that time it jumped time. It bent both exhuast valves. The chain did not break luckily or it might have broke through the cases if it bound up in there. I'll clean things up, get a new chain, sprocket, valves and misc parts and get it ready for Easter weekend.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

The guides breaking has happemed many times so I get rid of them when possible. Sounds like you have it under control. If you run into a problem feel free to give me a call (870-542-5133). Its good to see your still at it too.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks Bob.

How do you go about getting rid of the guides? I assume you're removeing the decompression mechanism all together, welding up the holes etc. Then removing the weights and guides? TIA

PS. I'm still at it, just not trying to be fast anymore. Costs to much money to play in that game. Easter weekend is about the last weekend for us Southern Californians till Fall. Both quads made it all season till our last outing when my piped Raptor had this problem. When things break on the 686 I've been putting in stock parts instead of trying to go faster. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You are more than likely gonna need to replace some valve guides as well. You can check them by running some non bent valve stems up and down through the guide(s). Any tight spots can and probably will be a problem. It's not a simple assembly process as well....all of mine had to have the tolerences opened up for proper operation.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll be sure and check them Gary. I've had to replace a valve guide before. Not an easy task but doable.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

To make sure we are on the same page I was refering to the guide plates that broke on your motor not the valve guides. In order to get rid of all the decomp parts we use a comp release valve. Depending on what cam you have with a few different cam including the stock cam you can do this with no problem or comp release valve.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

We are on the same page Bob. Gary was referencing the bent exhuast valves and the possibility of valve guide damage and possible misalignment with a new exhuast valve. One of the guide plates did break off and caused the problems I have now.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 660 Raptor question for the motorheads.