Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor falling apart

what you described by spraying brake fluid around the head is not a leak down test. garyc660R hit the nail on the head. And a leak down test is not the same as a compression test either. a compression tester just measures the amount of compression the cylinder has.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yotatrailrunner
what you described by spraying brake fluid around the head is not a leak down test. garyc660R hit the nail on the head. And a leak down test is not the same as a compression test either. a compression tester just measures the amount of compression the cylinder has.
Thats why I said call it what you will.....

Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: garyc660R

He replied in another thread that he has been running Yamalube recently and has in the past used Amsoil. I could hardly restrain myself from replying "and yours blew up"....LOL.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] whats this supposed to mean for the slower characters around town?

Old 03-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

Just wandering if your rappy is stock or has it had any mods, pipe j-kit etc. The engine problem that you are describing is usually due to running the bike in a lean condition, this sometimes doesnt show up for some time if these mods were made and not tuned properly and a lean condition is present it can break a ring land and is the usual suspect . Oiling problems usually affect the bearings in the engine more than the ring area of the piston.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptor13
Just wandering if your rappy is stock or has it had any mods, pipe j-kit etc. The engine problem that you are describing is usually due to running the bike in a lean condition, this sometimes doesnt show up for some time if these mods were made and not tuned properly and a lean condition is present it can break a ring land and is the usual suspect . Oiling problems usually affect the bearings in the engine more than the ring area of the piston.
Huh? Normal wear does not indicate a lean condition. Are you taking sparky's comments to heart and assuming the head gasket is leaking? Are you guys even reading the initial post?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JLsparky7
Originally posted by: JLsparky7Leakdown test: Start the quad and let it warm up for a bit until it idles steady. Then spray starting fluid around the head/cylinder area. If the quad revs up then you have a leak in the area and should more than likely to a full head gasket and piston ring rebuild.What kind of oil have you been running? If you engine crapped out after only 3 years I would switch oils....
Why would the engine need rebuilt if only the head gasket is leaking? Just asking......
If your head gasket has never been replaced and is leaking, you are running lean. The odds are pretty good you should do a rebuild.
A leaking head gasket does not mean a rebuild is necessary. In an extreme case, it's a possibility. Do you realize that if someone asumed you were correct it could potentially lead to an unnecessary rebuild?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Originally posted by: garyc660RHe replied in another thread that he has been running Yamalube recently and has in the past used Amsoil. I could hardly restrain myself from replying "and yours blew up"....LOL.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] whats this supposed to mean for the slower characters around town?
It means easter is coming up.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

It means easter is coming up.
Im scared of the easter bunny.. i mean rabbits don't lay eggs. that thing is a mutant. we need to kill the easter bunny.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

i agree kill the easter bunny he is a muntant....lol. as far as the raptor sounds like u ride it hard....bearings need redone about every 3-4 years in our situation. sorry to hear bout the piston and the problems it caused i know first hand how expensive that is...just bear the cost because i am sure that u had lots of good riding before and will again....just be glad u dont have to go replace/upgrade $18,000 like i have so far.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

The only mods I have are a full CT exhaust (with jetting to CT's specs for where I usually ride) and a K&N air filter. The guy at the shop said the engine probs could have been caused by dirt getting into the engine through the air filter, but I do clean it regularly and it has a pre filter on it so I don't think that was the issue. The other possibility he came up with was an over rev (maybe while jumping?). Again, I can't imagine that was the cause since my 230lb butt is usually not jumping.

Quick Reply: Raptor falling apart