Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how much power does a decently strong human have

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much power does a decently strong human have

You guys that are probing around at the 1/4 to 1/2 hp mark are probably close. We humans are pretty weak in the grand scheme of things!!

Also, a dyno probably couldn't measure that small, nor could we spin it fast enough.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Power equals force times velocity. So if someone lifted a 300 lb weight straight up 2 feet in only 1 sec, then the power would be (300lbs)(2ft/sec)=600ft-lbs/sec. Now one horsepower equals 550 ft-lb/sec. So this would be 600/550=1.09 horsepower. I'm not quite up to that.
You don't need a dyno.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally posted by: crazy1291
plz, give me some serious answers. I do think that 10 humans can KILL a horse in a tug of war. me and my brother (age 17) can almost take one horse
Is that before or after you put the quarter in it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

tug o war against a horse... OMG Yeah I am sure you and your bro can take one... right, maybe if your pulling from the front on his bridel....

Anyway Human horsepower is 1/6.

The power in watts is equal to the generator output voltage multiplied by the output current in amperes. Pedal or hand cranking power can be measured by connecting a voltmeter and ammeter into the generator circuit, and by multiplying the readings together. For instance, if the voltmeter reads 12.5 and the ammeter reads 10 amperes, the power being generated is 125 watts. To convert watts into horsepower, divide the number of watts by 746. In this example, 125 watts would be equal to 125/746=0.17 (1/6) horsepower.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
plz, give me some serious answers. I do think that 10 humans can KILL a horse in a tug of war. me and my brother (age 17) can almost take one horse
Is that before or after you put the quarter in it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
WTF??? since when do you feed a horse quarters??? are you trying to make it choke or die somehow??

and in reply to west350bruin, of course im not gonna try to outpull one of those giants. Why do ppl own them anyways? you can't ride them, and even a lawn tractor can do anything a horse can

but you guys miss the point, i want to know what happens when you run on a dyno, or if it is even possible. you say that there is a formula for figuring out horsepower, but doesnt always make sense when you see the actual numbers on paper. Communism looks good on paper too, but wait till you try to put it to work....... IT JUST WONT!

well have fun

Old 03-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Is there anyone on this forum who owns a dyno or has a good friend who will let you use his for free????

If so, see if you have run on it and see how much "power" a human puts out. If that's not possible, try a bicycle or tricycle on a dyno, just to see how much power a human puts out. I really want to know how much torque or horsepower a human puts out.
When i was in decent shape i could maintain 250 watts all day long (0.34 hp) with sprinting power upwards of 750 watts (1hp)
and BTW 250 watts will run you close to 30mph on flat ground with good form on a good bike.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Originally posted by: 54warrior
You guys that are probing around at the 1/4 to 1/2 hp mark are probably close. We humans are pretty weak in the grand scheme of things!!

Also, a dyno probably couldn't measure that small, nor could we spin it fast enough.
I have a Dyno for Bicycles. it will measure output of up to 1500 watts. wich. I don't have that much power so i don't need to worry about it. wich thinkin of it all.. I need to start training again and stop being a lazy old man [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah but a bike is giving you a mechanical advantage with gearing though right? Doesnt that change the end result or no?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Here is a dynochart of a dude thats pretty good.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Originally posted by: Mopar01
Yeah but a bike is giving you a mechanical advantage with gearing though right? Doesnt that change the end result or no?
Power is power. you only gain Torque thru the gears.

Quick Reply: how much power does a decently strong human have