Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak rear axle boot

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else torn the rear axle boot.I have small tear in mine and bought the boot to replace it but was wondering if anyone has removed the rear swingarm and what kind of job it is.I'm sure the shock and the arm itself won't be bad just not sure about the shaft(splined,c-clip,nut,ect).If anyone has any input it would really helpful.If you are getting water in your diff I would check the boot.It was only $9.00 I was very shocked, I thought it would cost $90.00.
thanks

Old 12-21-2000, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Javahere,

recently replaced the swingarm bearings in my 95 Wolverine, thought while I was there, I would take the tube loose to check for rust. Surprising how much water and corrosion were in there, the axle shaft is splined,actually had to tap it loose from the front with a vise grip and a hammer. Reassembly was a bit of a pain, lining the splines up without turning the wheels is fun, and the shock has to be lined up before tightening it all down. A second person will make the job a lot better. By the time I was done, I can say I am a spline aligning expert, got lots of practice before I was done !!!! take the back wheels off and put the swing arm on a rolling jack to make lining it up easier. Put the splines in the back first, then put the boot on the motor side. bring the swingarm up, line the shock up and reach around the boot and line up the splines to the universal joint,then bring it forward and put in the swing arm bolts.Don't tighten anything all the way, just start the bolts to keep it together. Put the shock top bolt in, and start tightening it all up. If you find a way that works better for you, go for it, I'm just telling what worked best for me. Before I forget, while the bolts are out of the swing arm pivots, put a little grease on the bearings, mine went dry and grenaded during a ride. Drop me a line if you have any more questions.

Old 12-21-2000, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like a job, anyone know where to get a skid plate for that boot yet??

Old 12-21-2000, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

95Wolv, thanks for the help.I went to the shop to pick up my freinds bike and asked the mechanic and he said the same think about the splines,he said to take a toothbrush with some grease and get right into the splines.I asked about the water in the diff and he said the only way it can get in is when you drown the bike and water goes in though the vent hose.About the skidplate not sure,but I'm making my own,Yamaha should have extended the factory one a bit.I guess thats how they make money,you but the skidplate or the boot.Same thing with the brakes,tires.Thanks again

Javahere
2000 Kodiak

Old 12-22-2000, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

Try snowcity.com