Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior or Raptor ? main difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior or Raptor ? main difference

I have a 2004 Rapror 350, each time I go looking for performance parts like cam CDI, and the like, some companies list the parts as the same , some offer different part numbers.

As the engine is nearly the same, I reckon on the CDI being different, but what about cam parts ?

Also the power is better on the Raptor so there must have been some changes, I looking to get around the 26 Bhp mark what mods are required ?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

If I remember right the difference in engine is a new head pipe, cam and carb and thats about it engine wise. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There's a bunch of little differences. The cams are different, there was a big deal a few years back when the raptor first came out, because hotcams ($hitty company) re-labeled warrior cams as being for the raptor 350, then they were pulled off the shelves months later because the cams were wrong and were just tearing the hell out of the raptor engines. Hundreds of raptor owners ended up with fubared engines, and hotcams didn't do a thing about it. But anyways, before I get onto too much of a rant, most of your electrical components will not be the same. Yamaha has a tendency to change connectors and mounting methods from time to time for no apparent reason. As far as most of the other stuff in the engine including the piston, crank, clutch, etc, those are all the same between the warrior and rappy. A-arms are also the same. Any other questions let me know, i'm getting to know these things pretty good.

That's a pretty easy hp level to achieve. Stock is somewhere around 22. A good slip-on exhaust, clamp-on filter kit with a removed airbox lid, and a rejet will get you over that easily.

Another note about the cdi - don't waste your money on the cheaper ones like procom and big gun, they don't do a thing for you, and they are a very flawed design. The stock cdi has no rev limit to begin with, and are a good reliable piece, so keep that unless you want to spring for the Dynatek cdi, Dyna is the bomb-diggity[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

check this out, you'll find anything you could ever want to know about the raptor 350 here

Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally posted by: bberck
If I remember right the difference in engine is a new head pipe, cam and carb and thats about it engine wise. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Just for your info, the muffler is different. The headpipe is the same. Same swingarm and steering stem,too.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

are you sure the swingarm is the same? I thought that one of the big weight reductions from the warrior to raptor was redesigning that diesel of a swingarm.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I havent weighed them, but I bought a 2005 Raptor 350 swingarm that was identical and felt like it weighed the same as my Warrior swingarm. The only difference I noticed were the rear brake line clamps. The Warrior swingarm fit right onto the Rap frame, but I ended up using the Rap one. Yamaha does list different part #s for the two, but I would guess thats because of the brake line clamp difference. Even the frames looked and felt identical except for the fender mounting brackets. I should have weighed each frame while I had them apart. How much weight does Yamaha claim it shaved off in the conversion?

Old 04-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm thinking that the dry weight was supposed to be about 30 lbs lighter. The silencer, bumper, heel guards, headlight bracket, etc make up for some of that, but that doesn't add up to a 30 lb difference.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

The seat and gas tank seemed lighter, and the battery is half as big as a Warrior's for a huge weight savings there. UKPAISLEY, my best advice would be to buy Raptor 350 parts and not Warrior parts, especially electrical parts. There were a lot of electrical changes. Although the bikes are very similar, there is enough difference to cause major headaches if you put the wrong piece on.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Trailblazer

That?s interesting, most of you think the Raptor 350 has no rev limit. When I ride mine it hits a rev limit that feels like an electronic one. Or am I bouncing the valves ? in fact when I drag race I keep the throttle wide open and change up with a little miss fire each time !.

On the Cam problem I have to buy outright as I cant exchange the core due to delivery problems where I work, there isn?t even any post in Angola , so a supplier who make there own cores and delivers to the UK would be good. Anyway I look forward two my hols in the UK and to pick up all my stuff from the internet and install it and kick *** on a Honda 400ex that?s been bugging me.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

You need more than a cam to beat a 400EX.