Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor660-To Stroke or Not Stroke(suggestions and opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor660-To Stroke or Not Stroke(suggestions and opinions)

Hi, Its been a while since I've posted on here but I was wanting some opinions from others with experience on motor builds for the Raptor. I am in the process of building mine and was wanting to know how the stroker Raptors do compared to stock stroke Raptors. I am wanting to build a 6mm stroker with 14.1 102mm piston(735) or A stock stroke with 14.1 105mm piston(727) with the Big Bore aluminum sleeve and Nikasil. I will be a lot of 1/8th mile asphalt and want to know how much the stroker will fall off on the other end versus the stock stroke. Will the stroker turn hard and make more power all the way through? I've only ridden one stroker motor and that was a 770Powroll bike and I was't really impressed with how it pulled based on comparing to My friends Sparks 727. I dont want to do the stroker and be dissappointed cause I know there are a lot of really strong running strokers out there now. All opinions and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks, Slim

Old 04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think there is a huge difference in performance between the strokers and stock stroke motors, other factors of the build have more of an impact. I've seen very fast strokers and very fast stock stroke motors, neither is "better". The stock stroke motors will rev higher if screamers are your thing, none of the stroker motors are recommended for higher than stock rev limits. My personal favorite 660-based build is a stock stroke, 105mm, HIGH compression motor with a big cam, big ports, and +1 valves. If you are going to run nitrous, you don't want a big cam.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

UBETRUN, Hope things are well; I actually met you in lumberton, n.c.. You had your black bike with the frame you fabricated and the Kenz built bike with you. I was with Freddie Sanford from Henderson N.C. we were towards the back of the track near the field. Yeah I see what you mean about the different factors other than stoker vs. stock stroke; I personally like the screamer engines, I love those RPMS AND I'm afraid the stroker will dissapoint in that area. I lean toward the quiker high reving engines versus a torque motor; it suits my style better. I have the Barker HV PORTING and the Sparks High rev X4 CAM just trying to decide on the rest for the build. I've taken the bike down and am anxious to get something together but dont want to rush it too much. Thanks, Slim