Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'06 Wolverine 450 4x4 wierd runability problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007 | 12:41 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default '06 Wolverine 450 4x4 wierd runability problem

Originally posted by: miassmaro98
WELL I HAD MUD IN THE CARB.IT SEEMS THE VENT LINE OF THE CARB SUCKS UP EVERYTHING.SO YOU HAVE ALOT OF CARP IN THERE.CLEAN AND RUN YOUR VENT LINE INTO THE AIRBOX UNDER THE SEAT SOMEWHERE WERE IT WILL STAY CLEANER.MAKE SURE YOUR ELECTRONICS ARE DRIED AND CHANGE YOUR PLUG
Thanks for the reply. The plug is good, the electronics are dry, and it's definately a fuel problem since fooling with the intake fixes it. I relocated the vent to the air cleaner area also. I am going to look into putting a filter in that line if it becomes an issue.

Anyone else have a Wolvy with the problem...?

Old 04-13-2007 | 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

im having the same problem with an 07 i just picked up for my chic. it starts and idles fine but when you free rev it or try to drive it it wont rev up. if i turn the choke on it will rev up a little higher but thats about it. the dealer said its a dirty carb but im not convinced as she has only put about 100 miles on it and the majority of them were on the ice. i did pull the spark arrestor out of it recently but the problem didnt surface untill a few rides later. the dealer also said these bikes are jetted extremly lean to pass emmissions and any mods would require me to turn up the mixture screw,, but i dont see any screws external the carb and i cant see how a mixture screw would effect higher revs. im going to rip the carb out this weekend and see for myself if dirt is the case. have you fixed yours yet?

Old 04-13-2007 | 02:41 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: slabadoo
im having the same problem with an 07 i just picked up for my chic. it starts and idles fine but when you free rev it or try to drive it it wont rev up. if i turn the choke on it will rev up a little higher but thats about it. the dealer said its a dirty carb but im not convinced as she has only put about 100 miles on it and the majority of them were on the ice. i did pull the spark arrestor out of it recently but the problem didnt surface untill a few rides later. the dealer also said these bikes are jetted extremly lean to pass emmissions and any mods would require me to turn up the mixture screw,, but i dont see any screws external the carb and i cant see how a mixture screw would effect higher revs. im going to rip the carb out this weekend and see for myself if dirt is the case. have you fixed yours yet?
I believe it is dirt in the carb. I think the main jet has/had dirt in it or something.

When it acts up try this:

Remove the air filter and when you wick the throttle open cover the hole in the air box that leads to the carb. This creates a high vacuum effect(it will try to suck your hand in, but it wont lol) and it will clear the dirt from the jet most times. It's worked for me the two times that this has happened.

I have since removed the K&N filter have since went back to a foam type Twin filter now. Not sure if the K&N was the problem letting in dirt but I have read enough negative stuff about them that I wanted to rule that out as the problem starter.

Try that trick and let me know.

Regarding the air screw. Look at the front bottom of the carb on the engine side and you will see a small gold screw that is hard to access. That screw isn't going to control the WOT fueling though.

I did jet mine richer to a Mikuni 140 main jet and the WOT fueling is spot on and the spark plug burns correctly.

Old 04-13-2007 | 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

did you happen to notice when your's was having the problem that the reverse light would blink?

thanks for the help.

Old 04-13-2007 | 03:40 PM
|
Pro Rider

did you happen to notice when your's was having the problem that the reverse light would blink?

thanks for the help.
Myself, as well as lots of other Wolvy owners have had the blinking reverse light and while common, it's not related to this.

It only is an indicator for you not to put it into gear while the revs are up.

Old 04-13-2007 | 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow. now i feel dumb.
that makes perfect sense.

im going to put the spark arrester back in and try your airbox trick to see if this thing clears up. my g-friend hasnt ridden in 2 weeks cause of this.. she's having withdrawals and getting cranky..

thanks again.. ill let you know what happens

Old 04-13-2007 | 04:00 PM
|
Pro Rider

wow. now i feel dumb.
that makes perfect sense.

im going to put the spark arrester back in and try your airbox trick to see if this thing clears up. my g-friend hasnt ridden in 2 weeks cause of this.. she's having withdrawals and getting cranky..

thanks again.. ill let you know what happens
Cool, good luck. Please do report back. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2007 | 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

were did u buy the twin filter?can you show me some pics also i thought they ran very rich from factory

Old 04-13-2007 | 05:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: miassmaro98
were did u buy the twin filter?can you show me some pics also i thought they ran very rich from factory
My local dealer has them in stock. They look the same as the factory foam filters that use the stock mounting cage.

Running rich or lean is totally dependant on the density altitude and current temperature where you live. Mine was pretty spot on as it came going by plug readings. I have only increased the main jet size to compensate since I added a HMF pipe.

Old 04-13-2007 | 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

can i buy it online somewhere?and can you show me a pic

Quick Reply: '06 Wolverine 450 4x4 wierd runability problem