Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Aftermarket tires for a 450 Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket tires for a 450 Grizzly

Just a thought I had aftermarket alum rims on my 660 Griz and they are heavier than stock,I went back to stock rims. Save alot of $$$ and go 26 " with what ever witdh you want on the rear and go with the 9s on the front they should fit and you will still have light steering. They wont stick out past your fenders and you will have great traction.Believe it or not they do look good. You will save hundreds. Good luck it is a tough decision .

Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Not to Hijack the thread... nor confuse you.

Here is my question... If you do go with 26x9x12 Fronts and 26x10x12 Rears do you NEED to get new Rims? is that a MUST? Will you have clearance issues using a Mudlite tire w/Stock rims?

-Steve

Old 04-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to everyone who provided their feedback. This is a great forum!

Camo: Thanks for the contact info! I emailed Matthew yesterday and he did quote me the lowest price compared to everyone else I've contacted. When I'm ready to order, I will place my order w/Matthew. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Buck: I'll take a look at ITP's specs on their website. Good point re: the wider tires kickin' up extra mud. I might not necessarily want to get "extra" muddy on every ride.

Willie: I haven't had the opportunity to drive it w/the stock tires, so you're right, I won't notice the difference in power because I won't have anything to compare it to. (I plan to have my new tires installed before my 1st trip.)

Oggy: Going with 26" tires and definitely getting 9's for the front. I don't want to lose steering capability or worry about the tires rubbing by going w/10's on the front.

Steve: I don't need new rims, but I personally think the stock rims look cheap. I want her to look pretty when she isn't covered in mud. (Yes, I'm a female.) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

After reading all of your replies, I think I'll go with 26x9x12 for the front and 26x10x12 for the back. Considering that it's a 450, I probably don't need 12's on a machine that size.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Yamagrizzgal, Yea Matthew is a great guy. I looked for weeks and he beat everbodys price. They were at my front door in 3 days!
SBuckJ, your right about the Mud. Take a look at my pictures and you"ll see I found out the hard way. I intalled the Overfender kit and it really helps keeping the mud off your Back. I would recommend them for any oversize tire kit.
Hope Spring comes back real soon so we all can go out and get a little Muddie!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YamaGrizzGal

Willie: I haven't had the opportunity to drive it w/the stock tires, so you're right, I won't notice the difference in power because I won't have anything to compare it to. (I plan to have my new tires installed before my 1st trip.)
As you know GrizzGal, I have an '07 Grizz 450 as well.. personally my friends are surprised how well my Grizz does with stock tires . I ride with a BF650 with 27" Mudlites and a Stock '06 660 Grizz. (Yamaha went to a more aggressive tires for the 2007 model Kodiak/Grizz450)... I only have 3 rides on my machine and gone through some narly stuff... I still haven't gotten stuck with Stock tires and I still haven't used my winch... So personally I am sticking with the stock tires until I start having to winch myself out more often than not...

Like you I am going to go with the 26x9's and the 26x10's

Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: CamoKodiak450
Hope Spring comes back real soon so we all can go out and get a little Muddie!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Don't know how things are in Missouri, but we're supposed to get hit with SNOW tonight, tomorrow, and again on Saturday in Wisconsin. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] (Normally I'd be happy with snow in the forecast because we could hit the trails on our Ski-Doo's, but it doesn't make me happy in APRIL! It's supposed to be ATV'n weather now!)

Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

[quote]
Originally posted by: CraZySteve
Originally posted by: YamaGrizzGal

As you know GrizzGal, I have an '07 Grizz 450 as well.. personally my friends are surprised how well my Grizz does with stock tires . I ride with a BF650 with 27" Mudlites and a Stock '06 660 Grizz. (Yamaha went to a more aggressive tires for the 2007 model Kodiak/Grizz450)... I only have 3 rides on my machine and gone through some narly stuff... I still haven't gotten stuck with Stock tires and I still haven't used my winch... So personally I am sticking with the stock tires until I start having to winch myself out more often than not...

Like you I am going to go with the 26x9's and the 26x10's
-----------------------------
I'm happy to hear that the Grizz handles well overall. I've heard great things about Yamaha, which is why I bought the Grizz (oh, and the fact that it was available in blue.) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Looking forward to hittin' the dusty trails. I'll be riding with a BF750 with 27" XTR's and a Grizz 660... should be interesting to see if I can keep up with the big dogs.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

You won't keep up speed-wise... nope but I didn't buy a UTILITY quad for speed... ya know?

Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi I have 12's on the back and 9's on the front of my Grizz 450. Most people I have talked to with 10's on the front wish they had gone with 9's because the 10's are harder to turn. No matter what you get they will stick out past your fenders more so you'll want to get some overfenders too. You can look at my pics page to see how far they stick out.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Chadicus: Your tires & rims look nice. I already have overfenders installed, so I'm good to go. I'm gonna go with 9's on the front & 10's on the back. (26" Mudlites)

Steve: Yep, I know. I already assumed I won't be able to keep up w/the big dogs speed-wise. I'm more curious about "mud-wise".

Quick Reply: Aftermarket tires for a 450 Grizzly