Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee or not to banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default banshee or not to banshee?

im 6 foot, 175 lbs, currently i do mostly trails, but thats only cuz my 350 is gutless... if i gt a shee i would mainly be doing duning.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If your young and like to ride fast either will work for ya.

I would get the Shee and spend the extra cash on mods. You will have a lot of cash laying around if you buy the Shee over the 450. You have to remember that the 450 is an all out race motor. They have VERY expensive parts to replace when they go boom!!!!!! And being a race motor they tend to go boom more often than lets say a 350 300 or what ever.

Anybody with more than 100 working brain cells can keep a two stroke running. You have to be a pretty good mechanic to keep a 450 really on it's game.

Like I said; either will be a fun quad for you, so it's up to you.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer

thanks, my neighbor is about 60-65 and he has 2 shees and a rappy 660, so im gonna see if i can talk him into parting with one ofthe shees... thanks for te help, and any more commentary would be appreciated!

Old 04-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

well some banshees work some dont im constantly doing somthing on mine with is fine cause i like 2 do that stuff but its just the luck of the draw some work some dont

Old 04-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer

Just get the Banshee. The perfect machine for duning. Just get your basic bolt-ons, Air Filter, Jets, Pipes & you're good to dune around. Add A Arms, Shocks, Axle if you need better suspension. Banshee aftermarket is so huge that it's so easy to find good deals on used parts. I mostly buy used for my Shee & do all the work myself so it's never going to see a shop. It's not hard to wrench on the Banshee but I'm sure it's more dificult to work on the 450's.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

we've had banshees ever since they came out. only 1 had a problem due to a misadventorus airfiler that came loose and sucked sand and water into the cylinders. not a very pretty sight or sound! once it was rebuilt it was fine. none of the others from 1988-2001 yrs ever had a problem and none of them other than the one i mentioned got any kind of rebuild. they all ran fine with plenty of compression. they only thing that is difficult on a banshee is that it does not tolerate trail riding well.

a banshee was made to rip and is happiest doing that in the dunes. or open country. it is not a very good handler like a 250R, but it will suprise you on jumping - its not too bad. and suprisngly i did like the rebound of the rear shock on my banshee than my 450R. but the front shocks - no comparison the 450R has good ones.

i think youd be happy with the 450 or the banshee. there is just an extra thrill of hearing that sound of banshee though, and pretty much unlimited hop ups wehere as the 450 wil handles better and prob beat it stock for stock.
open the lid, rejet and pipe and the 450 really comes alive (and do the free cam mod). but then again do this to a banshee (not the cam mod b/c there are no cams) and it comes alive as well. if it was me, id get the yfz simply b/c i havent had one yet and it handles better.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

if you like to jump get the 450, if you like to go really really fast get the shee. both are great, but that one guy was right, get good insurance. whether jumping or drag racing, both will put you in the hospital quickly. i know this from personal experience many many times. as for mechanicals, i own every machine known to man. from a backhoe to jet skis, to banshees, the banshee is the most reliable and cheap to maintain engine i have every seen, even modded out!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

yes the 450s do jump better. just to be clear - i didnt say the banshee was better at jumping than the 450 - just that it was "suprising" and that i did like the rebound of its rear shock beter than my 450Rs rear shock (which is a complaint by many- that it is not valved correctly from the factory causing allot of people to get it revalved or replaced).

Old 04-19-2007, 12:34 AM
DS2
Range Rover

Several excellent posts. It's nice to see some good, legitamite points about two strokes. I went to the dealership to get a Raptor 700 and came home with a Banshee. I love two strokes, and there was about a 2K difference between them. So, I got Elka's and a full exhaust/filter for the same price of the Raptor (or 450 in your case).

Old 04-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DS2
Several excellent posts. It's nice to see some good, legitamite points about two strokes. I went to the dealership to get a Raptor 700 and came home with a Banshee. I love two strokes, and there was about a 2K difference between them. So, I got Elka's and a full exhaust/filter for the same price of the Raptor (or 450 in your case).
Smart man [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: banshee or not to banshee?