Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 450 first impressions - How it compares to my Eiger 5-speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grizzly 450 first impressions - How it compares to my Eiger 5-speed

I have no problems with my Wolverine (just about the same thing as a kodiak and grizzley 450) on any hills, or trees, or rocks, it has climbed over everything I pointed it at, including a 3 railroad tie stack(straight up and down just to check that it would make it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ).

The Grizzley is water cooled right? If so you might also think about the Radiator guard, it can be a life saver if you were to stick a branch or stick into the rad it could cost a lot and could strand you if out in the woods a long ways.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: ctateusa1The Grizzley is water cooled right? If so you might also think about the Radiator guard, it can be a life saver if you were to stick a branch or stick into the rad it could cost a lot and could strand you if out in the woods a long ways.

Yes it is water cooled and the radiator is tucked up there pretty good.. what you have to worry about is the Radiator hoses... my lower hose got "pulled" and got a small tear where it goes into the water pump on the engine... Luckily it happened only 1/2" from the end... so I was able to cut it, re-attach and Luckily again.... there was a nice fresh water stream about 200 yards from where I broke down... I was able to fill up my camel-back and top her off... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

So I am definitely going to do something to protect those hoses from damage!

Old 05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont blame you I would try protecting them too. On the wolverine you can actually see the radiator through the nose of the quad so I bought the GYTR rad guard to help protect it.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm, yeah Eiger Joe.... I've ridden my Eiger on plenty of hills and will take an automatic. There are occasions where you simply can't shift an auto clutch tranny fast enough to keep the motor on cam pull a hill without bogging down. The auto tranny works just like a snowmobile and all you need to do is run the throttle. I was always able to ride my Eiger the same places my buddies could with their Rincons and King Quad 700, but it required me to rev the **** out of the Eiger and make all my shifts perfectly. Not a lot of fun, especally when the auto clutch doesn't react as fast as a manual clutch tranny. I also ride dirt bikes and high performance quads and a manual clutch tranny can be shifted as fast as you can do it, plus you can slip the clutch to bring the revs back up.

As far as a limited slip matching a locker, the only one I've seen work as well is BRP's. All of the other limited slips lose traction when you need it the most.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at those radiator hoses. I tend to ride through some technical, woody terrain and plow over lots of brush. I ripped the stock skid plate off my Eiger the first summer I had it and upgraded to aluminum which offered far better protection.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: rockrider
I'm going to have to take a closer look at those radiator hoses. I tend to ride through some technical, woody terrain and plow over lots of brush. I ripped the stock skid plate off my Eiger the first summer I had it and upgraded to aluminum which offered far better protection.

I ride some rocky, woody terrain as well... I can actually picture the moment when I probably ripped the damn boot...

I am going to flush my Radiator tonight and refill it, I am also going to look at protecting that hose.. I will take a picture for ya showing my protection/mod