Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Should I jet my Raptor myself?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I jet my Raptor myself?????

I have a stock 05 Raptor....I just ordered a full HMF exhaust and already have a K&N . I was reading up on some problems others were having and was just wondering if someone else has the same set up as I will have shortly. I am not sure if want an open airbox or not......willing to take all sugestions. Also I saw some people talking about a CDI.....I only want to jet this thing once so please suggest any and all "simple" mods (nothing internal) so I can knock all this crap out at once. spanks

Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah you should jet it yourself. Dealers will rape you on cost to jet it. Chances are you arent going to nail it first try but thats part of modding a bike. I would get a pipe, intake, and a CDI. That will wake the 660 up and is all very easy stuff to do.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah man, you should jet it yourself. Thats how you learn. Just remember to keep one carburetor a step or "5" ahead of the other side. (e.g. stock is 140/145 you may need 155/160).

A well respected engine builder once stated that CDI's were a bad idea on Raptors. Rods end up outside the case. If you are set on a CDI then I would suggest to get the dyna programmable ignition and set the rev limit stock and just change the ignition curves etc.

Airbox is up to you but these things run good open.

Good luck and let us know how it runs.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE: My friend just bought a 2007 R6 today and while I was at the Yamaha shop I worked my way back to the maintenance area and asked one of the techs if he was "free" in a week or two. I am gonna pay him to do it and learn at the same time!

I am still unsure about the CDI box. Why would I need it? What kind of performance advantages does it provide compaired to the K&N and full pipe kit? I want a great running dependable quad....I dont have to be the fastest out there, I just want to smoke MOST everyone! I also have a 14 tooth front sproket comming. What will that little change do to help top speed and acceleration?

Thanks for responding but the other part of my post was "Are there any other simple mods (external) anyone would suggest" to boost performance before I do my jetting? Thanks again guys.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

You really don't need the CDI. IMO I wouldn't buy it.

A 14T front sprocket will be perfect, thats what I'm running. After your pipe it will help with both acceleration and top speed. It will help with acceleration because you will stay in the power longer without having to shift as soon.

I think you will be happy.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE: The dude never called so I did it myself. I put everything on and went to test it out. I am at 2 1/2 turns out. One forum said "set high idle the from 2 1/2 out slowly turn back in until the idle gets crappy, then back out to the high idle setting." My problem is when I set the high idle and try to back it in it goes ALL the way in and doesnt change any RPM's or nothing. So I put the idle back to where I wanted it and drove on. I was making progress but when I let off the gas it stays about 1/4 throttle for anywhere from 3 - 7 secs before going back down to the low idle. Then whaen I thought I had it, It started running really rich with only an 1/8th of a turn in either direction. Then it stalled out and I quit. What do I do?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

I have the HMF full exhaust (sport series) and I just put in the K&N kit. I changed my jets to 160/165. I have not run it yet to see what the spark plugs read. I would assume it should be pretty close. If anything, pull it apart and change them out and try again.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Are you running a jet kit or just installing different main jets?

Old 05-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

REPLY: Glad you asked.....I was originaly just running the jets they gave me (150/155). That obviously was not working so I ordered a GTYR Jet Kit. Tell me what I need to do please. Like I said....I will be running a Full Exhaust (HMF), K&N and Open Air Box. The biggest jet the kit has is a 160. Do I need a bigger one? My buddy has a Raptor and he says he runs a 165-L / 170-R. He says it runns bad-***. He has about the same set up I do.....full pipe-K&N-open box. This forum is great...thanks

Old 05-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer

The best way to do it is you have them do it.
if they loose or brake somthing they will give you a free one. also you wont avoid the warrenty (if you have one)
and there no hassek of trying to get it right.
just its better if ya leave it to the pros haha.
pr have one of you friends who can get the job done for ya

Quick Reply: Should I jet my Raptor myself?????