Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2 stroke philosophy???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke philosophy???

Im a newb when it comes to 2 strokes and atv'ing for that matter. I want to know if i can rev my motor to the max without hurting it assuming its broken in properly and the gas is premixed correctly and everything else is assumably ok. I know they blow top ends but is this caused by too much redlining, and if it is then what the *****, i thought thats where they make the power. So there best part is their downfall as well, wtf is the deal. I just dont want to pay for a top end again, at least not for a while. how many hours are we talking here, sorry for being long winded

Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 smokers are soooooo 80's-90's

get a thumper man...

every 20 or so hours of racing,you need to change the top end on a smoker anyway,no way around that..2 smokers are maintence and money pits..

2 smoker quads??what a horrible idea..look at moto-x and super-x,they all well 90% use thumpers now..

changeing top ends on 2 smoker bikes sucked,cant imagine what a top end quad change is like ewww...

Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Try comparing the price of rebuilding a 450 or a 250r. Costs 3 times as much to rebuild a 4 stroke. The only reason everybody is using 4 strokes is because they outlawed 2 strokes in racing. If you cant beet em, outlaw them. I mean come on, my 250 puts out every bit as much power as a 450 and as long as you take care of them they are just as reliable. My 250 is 21yrs. old. Its been rebuilt 4 times on the topend and 1 time on the bottom. 21 yrs. of technology in the 4 strokes since my 250 was built and all I can say is, COME GET U SOME.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Fulltiltrider

Try comparing the price of rebuilding a 450 or a 250r. Costs 3 times as much to rebuild a 4 stroke. The only reason everybody is using 4 strokes is because they outlawed 2 strokes in racing. If you cant beet em, outlaw them. I mean come on, my 250 puts out every bit as much power as a 450 and as long as you take care of them they are just as reliable. My 250 is 21yrs. old. Its been rebuilt 4 times on the topend and 1 time on the bottom. 21 yrs. of technology in the 4 strokes since my 250 was built and all I can say is, COME GET U SOME.</end quote></div>
You are probably one of the people that think high revving 4 bangers are better than V8s.

Torque &gt; all

Old 06-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

lol well said Full! I like it when people sound off about 2 and 4 strokes and obviously don't know what they're talking about like the previous guy.

A 4 stroke engine makes power differently than a 2 stroke. The 2 stroke engine has a lot less moving parts. Which means when something goes wrong with it, there are only so many things that could be the problem. Fixing the engines are damn easy and damn cheap.

Next time you blow a piston on your 4 stroke you're gonna cry about how hard it is to fix yourself and also shed more tears when you see how much it will cost you!

I can change out the top end on my YZ125 in about 45 minutes and only costs me about 150 bucks. This really only needs to be done when you start losing compression, not every 20 hours of riding.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TRX450Rrider

lol well said Full! I like it when people sound off about 2 and 4 strokes and obviously don't know what they're talking about like the previous guy.

A 4 stroke engine makes power differently than a 2 stroke. The 2 stroke engine has a lot less moving parts. Which means when something goes wrong with it, there are only so many things that could be the problem. Fixing the engines are damn easy and damn cheap.

Next time you blow a piston on your 4 stroke you're gonna cry about how hard it is to fix yourself and also shed more tears when you see how much it will cost you!

I can change out the top end on my YZ125 in about 45 minutes and only costs me about 150 bucks. This really only needs to be done when you start losing compression, not every 20 hours of riding.</end quote></div>
My position has nothing to do with how cheap or easy they are to maintain. You are entirely correct. My point is that 4 strokes are much more trail friendly.

I grew up riding on a Blaster. For high speed stuff, 2 strokes are king. For rock crawling, mud, technical hill climbs, etc., 4 strokes are king. Obviously, most trails will have more of the latter features.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jarmoore

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TRX450Rrider

I can change out the top end on my YZ125 in about 45 minutes and only costs me about 150 bucks. This really only needs to be done when you start losing compression, not every 20 hours of riding.</end quote></div>

My position has nothing to do with how cheap or easy they are to maintain. You are entirely correct. My point is that 4 strokes are much more trail friendly.

I grew up riding on a Blaster. For high speed stuff, 2 strokes are king. For rock crawling, mud, technical hill climbs, etc., 4 strokes are king. Obviously, most trails will have more of the latter features.</end quote></div>

Your position has nothing to do with how cheap and easy they are to maintain, well this thread has everything to do with it. So before you go starting something with someone who knows what they are talking about and owns both styles of quads, do your homework and pack a lunch!!

Old 06-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

so can you guys tell me if its alright to max out my rpms in each gear or does this make for more frequent top end replacements. there will always be opinions and facts for each side guys just like 4 bangers and big blocks. to each his own, i love the screamers and the v8s, just as i like my 2 stroke and ive ridden 5 times and my friends are astonished on the hill climbing ive done already, yes it can be trickier on a 2 stroke but thats where pride comes into play, easy isnt fun, but challenging is, and also rewarding.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

depends on how you ride it,it you want to keep the throtle pinned all the time,expect more top end replacements..two smokers are built for racing,beating the crap out of them,and in the past when eveyone was racing them they got top end changes after every race day.Now I will admit I dont know much about 2 stroke quad engines..But in my younger years I raced a yz250(two smoker) and a yz450f(thumper) for many years,By FAR the 4 stroke's need way less maint..and are cheaper to keep racing..But in the long run all's it takes is...to come up short on one double and being old lol and it 4 wheels for me now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]But what ever you ride and how ever you ride it,keep the credit card handy lol..This sport costs no mater what you ride...Ohh and have fun,thats what its all about,don't matter if it's in the shop tearing down your motor or on the trails riding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CustomBLASTER52

so can you guys tell me if its alright to max out my rpms in each gear or does this make for more frequent top end replacements. there will always be opinions and facts for each side guys just like 4 bangers and big blocks. to each his own, i love the screamers and the v8s, just as i like my 2 stroke and ive ridden 5 times and my friends are astonished on the hill climbing ive done already, yes it can be trickier on a 2 stroke but thats where pride comes into play, easy isnt fun, but challenging is, and also rewarding.</end quote></div>

But to answer your question,ride smart..meaning dont do things like being stuck in a rut with the throtle pinned tring to get out,or like the same in the mud(get help)You dont need to max out your rpm's going up in the gears,just go 3/4 then shift,you wont lose much speed(but if you are dragging pin every gear to get the most out of it to win)Use it when you need it,but dont max out every gear when you dont need to do so.Find it's zone,after riding it enough you will be able to tell when to upshift(without bogging it)without pinning it..I'm sure you can two or three times of riding between top end replacements,by just riding smart..

Quick Reply: 2 stroke philosophy???