Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

in desperate need of help spark problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in desperate need of help spark problem

i bought a warrior 350 i cont tell what year its the first one ive ever owned but it doestn spark when i first got it it wouldnt even turn over i unscrewed the handle bar switch/pushbuton and it was grounding itslef to the handle bars so i fixed that and it turns over but i get no spark
the wires coming out of the stator are weird there is three black wires not three white ones and the red and white wire coming out of stator are female ends and the red and whit ones coming from cdi to stator have female ends too there is a blue and yellow and a green and white wire with male ends coming from stator and coming from cdi to stator is a green and a brown
when i got it the red from cdi went to the blue and yellow and the whit went to green and white and the brown from cdi went to red on stator and green went to white white from cdi is ground can someone help mt tell which ones to connect there
looking for a service manual also to help diagnose at first nuetral light was on and then i was checking wires and nuetral light went out had no spark before or after nuetral light went out please help i really wanna ride ive been working for a month straight read a bunch of other forums on similar probs but none like mine

also i put a voltometer on orange wire and i get volts when cranking through it and i get volts through the spark plug cap when i crank anyone know what these should read if there is too little or to much voltage could that be causing no spark if so what could be causing the volts to be too high or too low have some small engine exp just none witha quad

Old 06-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Orange wire from at the coil should be a pulsing voltage hitting around 12 volts. the Voltage at the spark plug cap sould be in the 10s of thousands of volts with low current. other than that if the harness wires don't match you definetly need some reference manuals to see what is what.
Wire diagram with specs. Sorry this is the best I can do for you.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

get the vin off of the frame and find the 8th digit from the end, that will give us a way to help you tell what year it is.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

its a 96 yamaha ive tried all the wiring possibilities for the stator and still no spark with any of them on the stator the brown and green are to pick up coil and red and white are to source coil i just dont know which ones go with which ones from cdi and even with em together right i sill get no spark

Old 06-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

yeah my 05 660 raptor is kinda havein the smae problem...except it used to spark and everything now i the sprk plug in the plug and give it some ground and it wont spark...im pretty sure its my ignition coil idk though.....and is the plug supposed to come off of the ignition coil wire??

Old 06-08-2007, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Year is the TENTH digit of the VIN on a bike, it might be eighth on a car, but i've also seen 10th on a car. I just know that on all my quads, the 10th matches the year.

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/checkvin.htm

Old 06-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

no the eights digit from the end(last number or letter), but yhea the tenth digit from the beginning on long vins, but earlier bikes like my 81 yamaha xs650 special only has a 9 digit vin, so it is actually the 2nd from the beginning or the eights from the end.

Cars are the same way

Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you are certainly correct there. VINS weren't standardized till 1990.

And ain't it great that math works, lol? !0th digit is indeed eighth from the end in a standard 17 character VIN... Sorry, i missed the word END in your post.