Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster won't shift

I have a '98 blaster tore down in the garage. The clutch got to slipping on it and my 12 year old cousin started learning to ride on it. He did a lot of dry shifting and clutch popping, of course, trying to learn. Next thing we know it don't want to shift into 3rd. We pulled it in for tear down and could work with it and get into 3rd but it didn't want to come out.

So, now I have it all tore down and this is a first for me working on the transmission. The shifting forks seem to be good. Will I notice immediately if they are bent? Anyone have any suggestions as to what else could be wrong? Anything to point me in the right direction would help.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

you took the shifter off and everything??idk if you will notice the forks bent immediatly srry im not much help lol...your best bet is just to have someone look at it ..its not gunna cost alot for someone to look and if they find the problem then you can buy what you need and fix it yourself

Old 06-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Yup took it all down and split the case. Haven't found anything except the shift peddle has lost a keeper or something. It slides in and out about 1.5".

My deal with having someone look at it is that I hate to pay someone to look and say "hmmm..well could be shift drum, or bent shift arm or this and that. That will be x dollars" when I already know these things. I've done it before and it makes me sick afterward giving money for someone to tell me what I already know and nothing more. But, If all else fails and I don't get any leads here that will be what I have to do. Thanks for the quick reply habitatjiskater.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you don't already have one i wound get a repair manual for your quad , it will pay for itself with this job alone ; anytime i work on anything that i don't have a manual i use my digital camera and take lot's of pic's before and during tear down so i can go back over the work if i run into a problem ! Someone will pop in here with maybe a link to access a site that will give you the part's layout for your quad hopefully sooner than later , i've rebuilt a couple Kawi's and one Honda tranny with out a manual ; but not a Yamaha ! Sorry i can't be of help on this one , but good luck anyway ! williebee

Old 06-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Yup right there with ya Williebee before I started this project I thought I self best get a manual.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

This should help you if you get lost putting it back together..

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Just find your model/year.

Sorry though, I havn't torn into the tranny at all either.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TrailxRider thank's for the Yamaha site for the access to the Part's Micro Fishe , as i didn't have this one in my site files ; but what koopa need's is an O.E.M. , Haynes , Chilton or Clymer Repair and service shop manual ! One that has his year and model Quad , a manual that show's step by sept instruction's with photo's showing more detailed direction's on how to tear down and reasemble the part's like they came apart ! Thank's again the link for the Yamaha site , you can't have to many sourse's for the part's Fishe ! williebee

Old 06-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

I do have a manual guys and not worried about disassemble or re-assemble, I can handle that. I just don't know what's causing my problem or what to look for. Surly someone out there can point me in a direction?

Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

I would guess bent shift rods. The poles that the shift arms slide on. Take them out and roll them on a flat surface and see if they wobble funny.

You can get a whole new used trans (in good working order with drum, forks, rods.) for prolly 50 bucks on ebay.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Ah, I see the poles. I was trying to see if the arms themselves were bent, didn't think about the rods. I checked ebay and only thing I found was around $100 range. If i don't see the problem quick thats the direction I'm going to be going.

Thanks JLsparky7, that may or may not be the problem but at least I have a direction.

Quick Reply: Blaster won't shift